CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CrossOver crashes when clicking "Install a Windows Application"

I'm running Catalina (10.15.4) and this is the error I get:

Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'OC_PythonException', reason: '<type 'exceptions.OSError'>: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/Users/csutclif/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/tie/crossover.tie''
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
abort() called

Sure enough, the file doesn't exist. Is there something additional I need to download?

I had the same problem and contacted Codeweavers but all they said to turn off the virus protection program. I practically gave up on it Then I gave another try this time I could install programs. But Crossover crashed four times in 90 minutes, wit always the same :

[i]Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'OC_PythonException', reason: '<type 'exceptions.OSError'>: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/tie/crossover.tie''
abort() called[/i]

And it is right, there is no crossover.tie in that folder. The only file in the folder is crossover.revokelist. I saw on this forum many times came up for many years and I do not understand why they do not have a fix or an explanation.

Did you end up adding CrossOver as an exception to your anti-virus software program? Some A/V software has been known to delete safe CrossOver files without warning, and I'm wondering if that is what happened here.

Also, when you got this error, what version of CrossOver were you using? Have you recently upgraded Crossover from one version to another?

Thanks,
Anna

Anna, this is not an ad just an observation… I have two AV apps that I run that and neither issues with CrossOver 19 or 20 and are instantly responsive to any possible problem without having to enter exceptions etc. They are AVG and Malwarebytes. At this moment I have over 200 apps, games etc in CrossOver and have had zero problems, not in installing or running any app. Way cool!!! 😎

Same problem here on macOS Big Sur on Intel plateform (no trial version) .
All launch finished on crash when clicking "Install Windows App"
The report log :
"Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'OC_PythonException', reason: '<type 'exceptions.OSError'>: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/Users/<user-name>/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/tie/crossover.tie'
abort() called"
I haven't any Antivirus apps that running in background ...
Is anyone have a fix to this issue ?

I think there are several possibilities for why you are missing that file. The easiest one would be if you installed CrossOver while you were not connected to the internet? This is a state that we did not handle gracefully. We have a fix in the works, but it is not in CrossOver 20.0.2. If this is the case, reinstalling CrossOver while connected to your network should fix the crash by triggering the download.

I've got Internet connection when I installed Crossover 20.0.2 !
I also :

• added grant access to disk and file in "Privacy" in General Settings ...
  • turned on "AntiVirusScan" = "never" in Crossover.conf (App > Content Package > Contents > SharedSupport > CrossOver > etc > Crossover.conf)
    So frustrating !!
    Please give me more help ...

I went ahead and uploaded the missing file to https://www.codeweavers.com/xfer/alasky/crossover-tie-file/ with the lock code "tie". You can stick that file in the location that the error message points out to fix the crash :)

/Users/(your_user)/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/tie

The Library folder is "hidden" so if you are using finder, you will need to hit "command + shift + . " to show hidden files and navigate to that location.

Hi, I'm still trying to figure out why the file didn't download correctly in the first place. When you installed CrossOver, were you perchance behind a WiFi access point login page?

Hi Anna thank you for your support and help.
I did the fix you tell and it works but I faced a little weird issue.

Here are the steps KO :
1 - Add the crossover.tie file into the folder /Users/(your_user)/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/tie before launching the CrossOver.app
2 - Start CrossOver app - the crossover.tie file disappear from the folder at point 1
3 - Click on "Install a Windows Application"
4 - I've got the same crash error

Here are the steps OK :
5 - Start the CrossOver.app
6 - Once CrossOver launched : add the crossover.tie file in the folder /Users/(your_user)/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/tie,
7 - Click on "Install a Windows Application"
8 - It works fine but one time only
If quit the app and relaunched CrossOver I have to redo the steps 5 to 8 otherwise it still crash ...

Finally I hope this "bug report" can help anybody in this situation.

I've definitively fixed the problem with these steps :

1 - Uninstall the CrossOver app
2 - Go to "My account" > My Downloads on codeweavers.com website
3 - Download the app once again
4 - Launch and unlock it with my account (mail/password)
5 - Works like a charm

Sorry for the inconvenience
Regards,
Olivier

I have just installed the CrossOver Version 20.0.4 (20.0.4.33197) on Big Sur 11.2.3 and facing the same issue. I tried the workaround mentioned but it doesn't work for me.
Is there any fix?

Thanks.

Hi there,

Which workaround in particular did you try? Did uninstalling and redownloading CrossOver not work? And did you have a stable internet connection both while downloading and installing CrossOver? And can you confirm you are not running AV software?

Best,
Meredith

The uninstall/Install one.

I still can install windows application even after disable virus scanner and reinstall crossover.
What can I do to fix the issue
?

Hi again,

If you fully disabled your antivirus and had a stable internet connection while downloading and installing CrossOver, please open a support ticket.

Best,
Meredith

Hi Meredith,
See quote answers.

Meredith Johnson wrote:

Hi there,

Which workaround in particular did you try?

• Uninstall - Redownload - Install
    Did uninstalling and redownloading CrossOver not work?
  • Yes
    And did you have a stable internet connection both while downloading
    and installing CrossOver?
  • Yes
    And can you confirm you are not running AV software?
  • Yes

Best,
Meredith

I retry one more again today but same result.

Now it works. What I did:

• uninstall application from Mac
  • download the zip file from a windows machine
  • copy to Mac and unzip
  • install

thanks.

McLicense GmbH wrote:

Now it works. What I did:

• uninstall application from Mac
  • download the zip file from a windows machine
  • copy to Mac and unzip
  • install

thanks.

Makes sense as your anti-virus/malware removed needed files from within the CrossOver.app

None of these work now unfortunately.

1 to 20 of 20

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSDZ5cE1yQUt4WTlWUmRLUiIsImdkcHIiOjB9