CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Only 1 game of 40 tested actually work with Catalina. Games do not work anymore.

So, like many of us, we want to run windows games, and sometimes older windows games.

I tried Wine and that failed because of the Catalina update for 64-bit systems, so Crossover said they supported Catalina and most things work. So they said...

This is not the case. I have tested many games through steam, which have all failed to open, either through steam itself, through the exe file, through different windows versions. ALL FAILED. Except for 1 game. Banished. But out of 40 others, such as, Stronghold Crusader HD, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Age of empires 2 and 3, Production line (which is new), Rise of nations (old and usually never works anymore), Cliff Empire (which is new), even Call of duty world at war, and many others. A sad time to be a mac user, all the beloved older games are no longer functional, maybe with a VM you could, but it seems as though that would give lag, and there's also Shadow.tech, but they take so long to give you a server, there really is nothing else out there that allows you the capability to play this games.

Steam is currently a mess, agreed.

But almost all my games from Matrix and all from JTS, among others (mainly strategy/wargames) work fine on Catalina. Just not via Steam

I hope the upcoming new version of Crossover really work with Steam.

Regards

For Steam you need to use CrossOver-19.0.1 the new patch version seems to have broken it.

I guess you were lucky that you could even open up Steam.

I downloaded the trial for Crossover 19.0.1. I am able to log into Steam with a two factor authentication. But once the Steam window loads I cannot see anything. Just the grey screen. No news section, no library, nothing.

One thing that has surprised me is that there haven't been any updates to Crossover in the past six months or so.

I purchased a one-year Crossover subscription more because I wanted to support the paid development of Wine, than that I wanted to use the Crossover software itself. But it does seem odd that there doesn't seem to be a lot of iteration going on.

Is it typical of Crossover that there are only major updates published once a year or so, with little customer-facing change in the interim?

I guess on the update side it depends on when you look. If you check out the main announcements section, you can get a feel for the update cadence. Here's the time since the prior release for the past several versions:

• 16.0 - 8m 13d (from 15.1)
  • 16.1 - 1m 24d
  • 16.2 - 1m 17d
  • 17.0 - 8m 12d
  • 17.1 - 2m 1d
  • 17.5 - 3m 2d
  • 18.0 - 5m 8d
  • 18.1 - 1m 18d
  • 18.5 - 3m 17d
  • 19.0 - 8m 19d

It looks like generally, there's a gap of about 8 months from the last release of an old major version to the release of a new major version. Bugfix versions are not announced where I checked, so I didn't include stats for those. Generally, it looks like there are at least one or two minor releases after a major release with a few months between them, and that hasn't happened for 19 yet. I'm not sure if that's due to slow development on upstream WINE or other factors.

Dean Greer wrote:

For Steam you need to use CrossOver-19.0.1 the new patch version
seems to have broken it.

Anyone know where we can get access to the 19.0.1 version of Crossover to test it out.
I'm still try, will purchase if I can get a game to work, and cannot find the 19.0.1 version anywhere.

I truly don't trust some of the sites out there that claim they have that version to download.

Think this might work: https://insmac.org/macosx/3728-crossover-19.html

Thanks!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidUNYRVFrV1J2NXB0WGhGbiIsImdkcHIiOjB9