CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Skyrim CrossOver 20 on Mac Catalina 10.15.7 no voices and game just hangs

I just found out about this program and that you can run Windows games on a Mac through it. I am not "computer savvy" in the sense that I don't understand how to port and do all of these things in WineSkin, which is why I decided to go ahead and use CrossOver with the hopes that Skyrim would run and I'd be able to play again on my Mac.

I've downloaded and installed CrossOver using the Google Chrome browser. I've installed Skyrim through CrossOver directly (using the "Install a Windows Application" button) and also have tried the route where I dowloaded Steam for Windows directly from the official website and tried installing Skyrim through that.

Everything seems to be installing fine. It just doesn't take as long as it should (in a video I saw where the install of Skyrim should take at least 4 hours. For me, it takes maybe 15 minutes or less.) I am able to open up Skyrim after it finishes installing, it installs a few more things for its initial setup (DirectX, .NET etc.) and then I can "play". That's when the problems begin.

First off, there is only sound when the Bethesda logo appears. After that - silence. If I try creating a 'new' game, I can't hear anything: no voices, no ambient sounds, no music - nothing at all. I see the character mouthing some words though. Then when the cart gets to the town, it just sort of hangs there. No one moves or does anything else.

The textures are also strange. Some characters look normal (have hair, clothes, and look like they should) others look like "meshes".

In short, I'm not sure what to do to be able to play. I've been looking up how to fix this issue, but haven't found anything so far. I'll be really grateful if someone knows what's up and can help.

CrossOver 20.0.2 fixes the meshes issue with Skyrim.

To get sound working 100% in Skyrim I've found you need to add DLL overrides for:

x3audio1_6 (native)
x3audio1_7 (native)
xaudio2_6 (native)
xaudio2_7 (native)

You also need to set your sample rate format at 48,000 Hz in Audio MIDI Setup settings.

Incidentally these DLL overrides also fix the hang when exiting the game.

Hi all,

I updated the crossties for both Skyrim and Skyrim SE with the dll overrides mentioned above. New installs starting tomorrow using the crossties should have functioning sound. Of course, if you don't want to wait for the crossties to update, you can always add the overrides to your existing install with winecfg or regedit :)

Thanks,
Meredith

Meredith Johnson wrote:

Hi all,

I updated the crossties for both Skyrim and Skyrim SE with the dll
overrides mentioned above. New installs starting tomorrow using the
crossties should have functioning sound. Of course, if you don't
want to wait for the crossties to update, you can always add the
overrides to your existing install with winecfg or regedit :)

Thanks,
Meredith

Is it possible to also have Skyrim SE to install the bundled version of DXVK by default?, as it seems that keeps being a running issue on macOS anyway

That's an interesting thought. I've started an internal discussion about the best way to communicate which games need DXVK (especially on Mac), since I've also seen other suggestions, including adding something to the Tips section for relevant games.

Meredith Johnson wrote:

That's an interesting thought. I've started an internal discussion
about the best way to communicate which games need DXVK (especially
on Mac), since I've also seen other suggestions, including adding
something to the Tips section for relevant games.

Unless the tips section just states the game uses DXVK and Linux users can use the latest version by doing XYZ I’d avoid it.

The amount of posts here and on Reddit shows 90% of CrossOver customer don’t check these things. They want install bad it works.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTVhjUEI1Tm5GNWZCdDlBOSIsImdkcHIiOjB9