CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Apple operating system Big Sur

Just downloaded operating system Big Sur and it just killed off CrossOver for Mac's, is there a fix for it?

Hi,

Are you using CrossOver 20? We've been testing against the Big Sur beta and needed to fix things to maintain compatibility; older versions of CrossOver are not compatible with Big Sur.

Thanks
Anna

so I bought a Crossover license this spring for 39.95 dollars and now it doesn't work with Mac OS 11. I would call that a fraud and very very low indeed. You should have known about this, but you didn't because you are greedy

1 5

Ingmar you are way out of line!!! Did you ask for an assist or is it your mission in life to throw tantrums? The developers are fine, the support is fine, the huge number of users are fine. Ask for help and stop this flaming! 😠 Help is available for the asking!!!

I don't think I'm out of line, and I'm not a troll. I'm just angry about this. Look at facts instead, should we who bought license for Crossover 19 have to upgrade to Crossover 20 now after just more than a half year? Do you think that is fair?

1 3

To buy or not is a matter of choice. CodeWeavers did not force us to upgrade. 20 has many excellent improvements over 19, ie. lower CPU usage, on my Mac lower RAM usage, apps install more simply and in the end getting ready for Big Sur early is a huge boost. Never accused you of being troll just someone who has little tolerance for the costs for development and deployment of new services and technology. Just hang in with 20 and I am sure that you will be very happy… I know I am! 😏

1 1

if Codeweavers didn't force us to upgrade, how could they sell us software doomed to be outdated then? Just for fun? Don't worry, I'm leaving now and I will not have anything to do with you in the future. bye

3 1

Anna Lasky wrote:

Hi,

Are you using CrossOver 20? We've been testing against the Big Sur
beta and needed to fix things to maintain compatibility; older
versions of CrossOver are not compatible with Big Sur.

Thanks
Anna

I'm on 20, so you're saying I should not have problems when I upgrade to Big Sur? One of the key applications I use for my work is unfortunatley depending on CrossOver on my Mac, so just want to make sure before I allow my Mac to update.

Thanks,

Angelo

Hi Angelo,

We believe that there should not be any problems updating to Big Sur, but since we are unable to test every single program on Big Sur that ran with CrossOver on Catalina, there is a possibility that your program will run into some bug that we have not seen yet. There is always a risk with upgrading an OS, especially one that is so newly released. If it is a popular program, you could ask in the specific forum for that software on this site to see if anyone else has already tried it on Big Sur.

Thanks,
Anna

Morning Anna

Quick question a Big Sur. I realize you all are probably getting all sorts of messages. I'm currently using CrossOver Version 20.0.2 and the crossover app is a great product and important for my everyday use. If work is being done on CrossOver to work on Big Sur, then I will wait to install Big Sur which isn't a big deal.

Just trying to figure out if it's being worked on or if the work is completed. Thanks.

Hi,

We don't have any known CrossOver issues that are specific to Big Sur right now*. However, upgrading is always a risk. Personally, if this is your work machine, I would recommend waiting at least a month before upgrading regardless of CrossOver. It is tempting to upgrade to the shiny new OS right away, but there is a good reason why folks recommend waiting for a month for some initial unanticipated bugs to shake out.

Thanks,
Anna

*I'm referring Intel Macs. As folks noted elsewhere, running CrossOver on the M1 chip requires the Big Sur beta right now.

Dear CrossOver team,

All clients who purchased CrossOver V 19.0 this year and updated MacOS to Big Sur they should be eligible somehow to discount or coupon for upgrade to CrossOver V 20.0 it's not fair to lose the old version subscription even without a clear notification that V19 is not compatible with Big Sur from your side!!!

chers,
Hasan

Angelo Hulshout wrote:

Anna Lasky wrote:

Hi,

Are you using CrossOver 20? We've been testing against the Big
Sur
beta and needed to fix things to maintain compatibility; older
versions of CrossOver are not compatible with Big Sur.

Thanks
Anna

I'm on 20, so you're saying I should not have problems when I
upgrade to Big Sur? One of the key applications I use for my work is
unfortunatley depending on CrossOver on my Mac, so just want to make
sure before I allow my Mac to update.

Thanks,

Angelo

Angelo, a safe way to go is to create a new APFS volume on your drive (or get an external drive), install Big Sur and Crossover 20 and your important Windows application on that, and see if it works. Put your app through its paces, be sure it’s 100%. If so, you should be able to safely upgrade your main boot volume to Big Sur. If not, try again later after Codeweavers has worked on and updated Crossover 20 a little further.

Also note that unless there is some new feature in Big Sur which you absolutely need, and your important Windows application and your ability to do your work really matters, then there is no compelling reason to update to Big Sur. Especially this early. Lots of people wait until at least one major OS update (generally a month or two) before upgrading to the current version of MacOS, the initial release tends to be more of a public beta than a fully tested OS!

To those of you who bought Crossover 19 within the past year and now am upset because it does not work under Big Sur, I feel your pain. I, too, have purchased software which obsolesced or was updated soon thereafter requiring a new license purchase. However, my empathy with your feelings is tempered by the license types offered by Codeweavers. The $40 license is very explicitly “current version only” with no upgrade path or discount for the next version. The $60 license is a one-year subscription which provides access to any upgrades released during that time (plus I think a discount for another year at the current subscription’s expiry) and even after the subscription expires you can still use whatever is the current version at the time of expiry, forever.

This kind of thing happens near the end of product life cycles. You must know that Apple releases a new version of their MacOS very single year around this time and any OS upgrade is likely to break applications, especially complicated stuff like Crossover and especially in the case of such a radical OS upgrade like Big Sur with so many changes under the hood. Finally, if you don’t want to pay for Crossover 20 and don’t absolutely need any of the new features in Big Sur, wipe your drive, install Mojave or Catalina or whatever on it, then restore your apps and personal data — your license from Codeweavers gives you the right to continue using Crosover 19 as long as you like.

2 1

Sage advise! Always be wary of a new OS no matter who makes it until the bugs and adjustments shake out. For me when I started in early Mac OS 6 I have seen some weird stuff popup even after all of the beta testing. When you decide to upgrade wait for a couple of System Updates just to be sure. One word of caution or advise make and keep a good Time Machine backup. Don't do an APFS format of your Time Machine because you will not be able to step back to Catalina or Mojave if you do. Apple has made it clear that the APFS formatted Time Machine will ruin any chance of stepping back. 😯

Hi all, I have just updated my Mac to Big Sur and not only does my crossover V19 not work but I had an application Metrader 4 which was running through crossover and now that program doesn’t work and it appear I have lost all the data so setups I had.
Any help would be greatly appreciated to try ams fix my problems
Thanks
Peter

Hi there,

As mentioned above, CrossOver 19 is not compatible with Big Sur. If you upgraded to Big Sur, you'll need to use CrossOver 20.

Thanks,
Meredith

Hello to ALL.
If U are can, please do not upgrade to the Big Sur.
Many programs do not works under new OS XI and crossover version 20.
Another problem , support do not give any solution or answer.
I have open support ticket more then month ago and do not get any answer.
So if U can - do not go to the new OS and still with older OSX and CrossOver 19 version.
Looks like Big Sur has too many issues and devs from Codeweavers can not do anything now.
We need to wait.

Health and Best Wishes.

Dimitry Borzenko wrote:

Hello to ALL.
If U are can, please do not upgrade to the Big Sur.
Many programs do not works under new OS XI and crossover version 20.

Another problem , support do not give any solution or answer.
I have open support ticket more then month ago and do not get any
answer.
So if U can - do not go to the new OS and still with older OSX and
CrossOver 19 version.
Looks like Big Sur has too many issues and devs from Codeweavers can
not do anything now.
We need to wait.

Health and Best Wishes.

The question here is why would anyone upgrade to the current version of macOS if they have mission critical software without first testing this still functions correctly on the latest OS?

The answer is no correctly run IT department would ever allow this to happen, that’s been the case for Windows for years don’t upgrade as soon as an update lands before confirming it doesn’t break anything that’s mission critical.

If you must be on macOS Big Sur for some specific reason then you’d be better served creating tickets for the issues your experiencing with CX20 and hope it’s early enough into the CX21 development for it to be looked into.

Your current options here are downgrade back to macOS Catalina and keep using CrossOver-19.0.2, alternatively build crossover-sources-19.0.2 yourself and run wine(64/32on64) from terminal.

TLDR;
Don’t expect support to help you running a year old product on a new version of macOS.

Hi.
I have new Mini Mac with M1 chip , so I can not to run any other Mac OS.
I have no way, I will wait for new CrossOver versions.

CUL.

Dimitry Borzenko wrote:

Hi.
I have new Mini Mac with M1 chip , so I can not to run any other Mac
OS.
I have no way, I will wait for new CrossOver versions.

CUL.

And you wonder why support hasn’t answered you?

CX19.0.2 “can” be made to run on macOS Big Sur using an Intel chip, however CrossOver didn’t support Apple Silicon until CX20.0.1 if you read the change log.

The amount of patches needed to get CX19 running on Apple Silicon doesn’t make it worth the effort when there currently working on CX21.

If your wonder how I know this, well I’d decided I wanted CX19 running on Apple Silicon and it was a PITA and still has lower FPS even when using the same compiler optimizations as CX20.

I believe CodeWeavers doing what I’d done would be a complete waste of resources when the improvements in Wine-6.0 are more desirable.

Hi.
I am not talking about 19 version.
I am talking about 20.0.4, and Codeweavers site has this info:
CrossOver Mac System Requirements:
CrossOver Version 20 - Intel or Apple Silicon based Mac running macOS
So what was wrong in the my request and ticket support??

Dimitry Borzenko wrote:

Hi.
I am not talking about 19 version.
I am talking about 20.0.4, and Codeweavers site has this info:
CrossOver Mac System Requirements:
CrossOver Version 20 - Intel or Apple Silicon based Mac running
macOS
So what was wrong in the my request and ticket support??

Comparing CX20 on Apple silicon to CX20 on Intel isn’t identical due to Rosetta2 specific bugs.

I haven’t seen many major regressions between CX19 & CX20.

I’ve taken the time to patch up CX19 to run on Apple silicon and compared it against CX20 (bar a couple of patches I applied) and really don’t see any major differences in comparability, the major differences here are due to Rosetta2.

Anyway I can not to run few of my programs under CrossOver :(
I do not know who is have a bags, Rosseta or CrossOver, I know that I need to work.
Problem was resolved by installing Parallels - there all my programs works :(

Hi. Does crossover for quicken 2018 work with Big Sur?

Hi Bruce,

Yes, it should. We test Quicken regularly internally, and I've also seen positive reports from other users.

Best,
Meredith

1 to 26 of 26

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZ2RVVEJac0NFMmhnMnB1ZiIsImdkcHIiOjB9