CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Skyrim SE m1 Big Sur 11.1 Beta graphics artefacts and sound issues

Hi, I’ve managed to get Skyrim SE running reasonably well on crossover 20.0.2 using dxvk and directx for modern games, however I am experiencing bad texture artefacts in game along with issues with the game audio.

I have semi fixed the sound problem using xaudio/x3audio dll overrides but it isn’t perfect, leaving a horrible distorted stuttered reverb like sound in addition to the games audio. Doing some reading I found proton users have sorted the sound problem by using a replacement dll for xaudio2 called Faudio that better supports the ffmpeg4 format that Skyrim use, however upon more reading I read that Faudio has been included in since CrossOver 18.5, leaving me pretty stumped.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/489830/discussions/0/3441214221459912300

The graphical issue when running the game is described here on winehq:

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=45046

The issue has also been raised on the dxvk GitHub and marked as being resolved so I wonder if it is included in a later dxvk version than what is used within crossover? https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/189

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get Skyrim working without the graphical/sound issues at it runs surprisingly well using max settings on my MBP m1 16gb.

Thanks.

For the sound issue, setting 24 bit and 48KHz in for sample rate in Audio MIDI Setup might fix the issue. On Intel Macs this does the trick.

See this thread on Reddit

The comment above min for the audio bug fix.

DXVK 0.50 included the fix for this bug and CrossOver-20 included 1.51-8 or something so this could be an Apple Silicon weirdness with its GPU.

I’ll go a little more in depth with FAudio now
Yes FAudio can be compiled with libav (gstreamer plugin) but the problem with this would be a licensing issue that can be avoided on Linux as the distro provides it not CrossOver. But even with this the above comment of changing audio frequency would still be required.

Hi there,

We already have a bug tracking the sound issues. I was able to reproduce the graphical issues on my m1 machine, and I filed a bug for that issue as well so a developer can take a look. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Best,
Meredith

Meredith Johnson wrote:

Hi there,

We already have a bug tracking the sound issues. I was able to
reproduce the graphical issues on my m1 machine, and I filed a bug
for that issue as well so a developer can take a look. Thanks for
bringing this to our attention!

Best,
Meredith

It would be interesting if this also happens on Intel systems, if it’s Apple silicon only then MoltenVK need to be updated this could be related to swizzles being disabled on Apple Silicon

I couldn't reproduce on my Intel machine; this seems to be Silicon-specific.

Thanks,
Meredith

Meredith Johnson wrote:

I couldn't reproduce on my Intel machine; this seems to be
Silicon-specific.

Thanks,
Meredith

Maybe that will be resolved with bumping MoltenVK to v1.1.1, also should I open a ticket to request FAudio gets a version bump?

In the context of this particular problem, we have developers investigating as there are multiple possible solutions. We do already have a bug tracking this issue.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply to my post. Interesting how this is apple silicon specific and I wonder if this problem extends to other titles. For what it’s worth I could not reproduce the graphical issue on Skyrim 32bit, however the performance was awful compared to Skyrim SE.

It’s not too surprising it’s only happening on Apple Silicon, there even a difference in comparability between wine and wine32on64.

What’s I’ve noticed from others posting online is 32Bit games are running slower then on an Intel system, this could be a Rosetta2 bug or just Apples OpenGL just being bad as other are complaining about worse performance with other 64Bit games that use OpenGL

Skyrim SE working better seems constant as it’s 64Bit and being played via Metal not OpenGL.

As I currently don’t own an M1 system I’m unable confirm my suspicions on these issues unfortunately but I could very well be wrong the developers will figure it out I’m sure.

I found a solution to the sound issue. Add four wine configuration library overrides as described in this video for Fallout 4. I still have the weird graphic textures on NPCs but at least the sound works right. Verified on my own version of Skyrim SE running on my M1 Mini via crossover,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9KY30SAeds&t=129s

Hi all,

I updated the crossties for both Skyrim and Skyrim SE with the dll overrides mentioned in another post. New installs starting tomorrow using the crossties should have functioning sound. Of course, if you don't want to wait for the crossties to update, you can always add the overrides to your existing install with winecfg or regedit :)

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/forums/general/?t=27;mhl=233328;msg=231494#msg233328

Thanks,
Meredith

Just to note that on the mac m1 I can’t seem to rotate the loading screen model, I’m not sure if that’s a symptom of the issue that causes the graphical artefacting on M1 machines. When using the dll overrides I still seem to get some sound stuttering issues even when running at 48khz sample rate.

I have attempted to get the faudio builds for wine with WMA support working with crossover but I can’t seem to get it to install. I understand crossover can’t supply wma support due to licensing issues relating to the codec but would this be a reasonable avenue to go down to enable the correct audio support? Hopefully the issue eventually gets resolved, thanks for the hard work.

Tom Carre wrote:

Just to note that on the mac m1 I can’t seem to rotate the loading
screen model, I’m not sure if that’s a symptom of the issue that
causes the graphical artefacting on M1 machines. When using the dll
overrides I still seem to get some sound stuttering issues even when
running at 48khz sample rate.

I have attempted to get the faudio builds for wine with WMA support
working with crossover but I can’t seem to get it to install. I
understand crossover can’t supply wma support due to licensing
issues relating to the codec but would this be a reasonable avenue
to go down to enable the correct audio support? Hopefully the issue
eventually gets resolved, thanks for the hard work.

Chip is working on MoltenVK currently with commits specific to Apple Silicon.

With the correct overrides Skyrim LE/SE will be used the naive xaudio codecs so there no real need to use the prebuilt FAudio with wma support dlls unless your manually installing Skyrim SE and are trying to avoid any Microsoft dlls.

I remember having the sample rate to 48 did get rid of the audio stuttering within Skyrim LE (same issue as SE) it seems that the audio isn’t being processed to the selected frequency, this could be a Rosetta2 issue or Apple silicon issue.

Hi! This seems to be last tread so i wanted to update it and ask about the progress.

Did CrossOver find any fix for texture flickering on M1 macs? i installed both crossover and skyrim few days ago and the problems seems to be still there with no info on the web for fix.
I should also probably add that it seems to be that the game cant show 3d interface elements: Books, locks (for lockpicking).

Hi there,

Our developers understand the problem, and we hope to deliver a fix in an upcoming CrossOver release.

Best,
Meredith

Hi,

I have the same issue here.... have you found any solution?

thanks,

Meredith Johnson wrote:

Hi there,

Our developers understand the problem, and we hope to deliver a fix
in an upcoming CrossOver release.

Best,
Meredith

Hi any update on if this is fixed as yet or when it is likely to be fixed?

Thanks.

Hi there,

Yes, we have a fix for CrossOver 21, which will be entering beta soon. Our BetterTesters have reported the fix is working well for them with our nightly builds in other threads.

Best,
Meredith

I'm trying out Crossover Beta 21 (Version 21.0~b2 (21.0.0.33710local)) on my M1 Mac Mini, but I'm still seeing the texture issue, mainly with NPCs. Are there certain settings I should look into for this, or something I should share here to help diagnose the issue? Thanks!

Edit: I was using the Steam bottle, I'll see if the Skyrim SE bottle works any better (didn't know it existed).
Edit 2: Either bottle has the same issue. Turning off "DXVK Backend for D3D11" gets rid of the texture issue but the FPS drops dramatically.

Using m1 MacBook Pro on latest Big Sur.

So it works for the most part with default settings(DXVK had tearing artifacts when enabled) with the latest version 21.
However sound from NPCs doesn't work, I know on Linux using proton you have to modify the launch settings with something like this - WINEDLLOVERRIDES="xaudio2_7=n,b" PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=90 %command%.
However when I run that an error pops up: "There is no Windows program configured to open this type of file."
Then Steams pops up with an error that says it is missing executable.

Has anyone found a workaround yet?

Hi Bob,

As mentioned in a previous comment, sound should work if you use the crosstie to install.

Best,
Meredith

1 to 22 of 22

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZXJxV0hKaGdxdVhIUFRVciIsImdkcHIiOjB9