CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Curiosity : Why , when everything for an installed app is in a bottle , does Crossover allow files to be placed in the /User/~na

Working with two Windows apps ; GuildWars 2 and G4FON's Morse Code trainer. Both have installed a folder and within a file or more in my Documents folder. Why does Crossover allow that? Why are such 'permanent' files not stored in the app's own bottle? Is there a way to address this? Thanks.

Hi there,

I believe that's because those apps would also store files in the "My Documents" folder when installed on a Windows machine.

Best,
Meredith

Thank you Meredith. Your response leads to a second question. Why is there no "My Documents" folder as part of the bottle? From my naîve view, the bottle should be all encompassing but for the links to hardware.

Hi again,

It can be rather useful to have access folders on your base machine like "Documents" rather than having individual "My Documents" folders in each bottle. If you installed software with CrossOver that you're using to modify files frequently (like Office), it would be rather frustrating to only be able to find files that are buried deep in a folder in your bottle, rather than a more accessible folder.

Best,
Meredith

The current behavior is desirable for the majority of users as the idea is you want to open your files within the Windows application.

That’s also the case for other products.

If you don’t want this integration launch winecfg from the bottles menu and disabled the directory mappings, this will leave the bottle more segregated from your personal files.

Thank you very much Dean - that gave me the tools that I needed to fix this for me.
For Future readers , here's what I did:

Navigated to /Users/~username~/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/~yourchoiceofbottle~/drive_c/ and created an empty folder called DOCS. [Easy way to get there is through Finder, Option-Go Menu/Library...]

Next I brought up CrossOver and choose my Bottle and ran "Wine Configuration" - or Run ... winecfg . ***
Selected the Desktop Integration tab and selected the "Folder : Links To" item for "My Documents" and browsed to the newly created DOCS folder. Applied and exited.
Now neither of the two apps save anything to the MacOS Documents folder, rather each saves to it's own DOCS folder.

*** Of note for tweaks for the devs : the Wine Configuration panel is not resizable, which means that when you're diving deep into nested folders, you eventually can no longer see what you need to , because the directory is off to the right and not visible.

Honestly unless got really wanted your files to all be placed into that DOCS directory you created it wasn’t necessary to create it.

Simply removing the mapping to your users directory’s will mean that wine creates the usual Windows directory’s within the Bottles /Users/crossover directory. This will now create “My Documents”, “My Music” etc when you next use this Bottle.

That's good to know - did not see that in the documentation.
Thank you.
Al

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiS25FSE1HRkJidFNXQjYyWCIsImdkcHIiOjB9