CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

ESO on M1 Mini - stuck on loading in launcher

I've tried to install via Steam in CrossOver. Am currently evaluating the trial to see if it's working, but so far not good. So what I did was:

• get CrossOver
  • install DirectX for Steam
  • install VK Upstream for Steam
  • install Steam
  • install ESO via Steam

Installation worked, initial updating worked. Now, when I start the launcher I just get the screen where it says "Loading..." with the fancy new Blackwood logo, but that's it, and it's been doing this for a long time. It's not getting past this.

Anyone with experience on what could be the issue?

My device is a M1 Mini with 8 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD.

Is there not a Mac Intel version of Elder Scrolls Online that you can run? Last I checked it ran fine under Rosetta.

Intel version crashes constantly. I've been wanting to try this as well.

Doesn't ESO use dx12 on windows? I agree that the mac version is not usable, it has constant renderer queue crashes when certain objects in the game world change state. Anyways I thought the windows version of ESO used 12, how is the 12 support in CX?

Jeremiah Korreck wrote:

Doesn't ESO use dx12 on windows? I agree that the mac version is
not usable, it has constant renderer queue crashes when certain
objects in the game world change state. Anyways I thought the
windows version of ESO used 12, how is the 12 support in CX?

Very sure it's not DX12. Performance-wise Windows is ever slightly faster on my MacBook Pro 16 and very close to the Mac client (Rosetta 2) on M1 MBP. Parallels is half the speed of that.

Want to give a good try for Crossover with ESO. That said, my experience has been really poor with any game on Crossover in 20 and 21. Likely just I don't know what I'm doing with it or just libraries are very broken. Except games from 1999/2000 or earlier.

Bob Warren wrote:

Jeremiah Korreck wrote:

Doesn't ESO use dx12 on windows? I agree that the mac
version is not usable, it has constant renderer queue crashes
when
certain objects in the game world change state. Anyways I thought
the windows version of ESO used 12, how is the 12 support in
CX?

Very sure it's not DX12. Performance-wise Windows is ever slightly
faster on my MacBook Pro 16 and very close to the Mac client
(Rosetta 2) on M1 MBP. Parallels is half the speed of that.

Want to give a good try for Crossover with ESO. That said, my
experience has been really poor with any game on Crossover in 20 and

1. Likely just I don't know what I'm doing with it or just
    libraries are very broken. Except games from 1999/2000 or earlier.

I might give it a shot, I'm having good luck loading things on CX21 so far on my m1 air. (cheap gpu version). The games I play are a good mix from the last decade or so, and unless they have some form of DRM going on I've usually found a way and trying to find a way to play it besides windows or stadia would be nice.

Hi all,

I had no problem installing and running ESO on my M1 MBP with CrossOver 21. I installed it into a Steam bottle, and installed nothing else: no DirectX for Modern Games, and I did not enable DXVK. The launcher did exit after patching on the first run, but relaunching everything seemed fine. I only played for a few minutes, so it's possible there are issues with game play, but launching was definitely fine.

Best,
Meredith

Meredith Johnson wrote:

Hi all,

I had no problem installing and running ESO on my M1 MBP with
CrossOver 21. I installed it into a Steam bottle, and installed
nothing else: no DirectX for Modern Games, and I did not enable
DXVK. The launcher did exit after patching on the first run, but
relaunching everything seemed fine. I only played for a few minutes,
so it's possible there are issues with game play, but launching was
definitely fine.

Best,
Meredith

Very Interesting that the steam version worked. I just did an install from the non-steam ESO installer and it failed. I'll have to try the steam version later to see if there is a difference for me.

Which Bottle did you use? Windows 10 64-bit?

Bob Warren wrote:

Ok this works!!!! Ok I have to say it's faster than Parallels and native mac through Rosetta. Great job Crossover!!

Bob Warren wrote:

Bob Warren wrote:

Ok this works!!!! Ok I have to say it's faster than Parallels and
native mac through Rosetta. Great job Crossover!!

Sadly spoke too soon, crashed in 5 minutes. I guess that's normal for ESO.

Seems to work better now (maybe a client update.) Only thing I'm noticing is input lag for mouse and keyboard. The FPS is 6-10 higher on CrossOver vs native Mac client on the M1 (but sometimes can go much much higher in some areas.) Not sure how to fix the input lag.

Looking at solutions to fix mouse / keyboard lag. Is there a setting to get better performance here? Otherwise this is running well. Input lag is a bit nauseating while playing though.

Hi Bob,

It's possible that changing some of the in-game settings might make a difference here. You can also try enabling esync through the bottle's Settings menu.

Best,
Meredith

Ok, so adding esync causes the screen to lock hard during loading and never starts the login screen. I can't find any input changes that work in game. From here I'd call it minimally working for short runs but certainly not fighting or anything timing related. It's certainly better than before with 20. I feels like games are getting more compatible over time but I can't seem to get any of my software working well enough yet to use it more than curiosity.

Where can I open a ticket? This is my favorite game and given how bad it run on Mac I think this is the best option if input works well.

Hey Bob, how’s your latency in ESO? You can check by typing:

/latency

In your ESO chat window. If it’s over 100ms or so the lag may be due to network issues. If you’re on WiFi you could try plugging directly into your router to lower latency.

Did you play ESO on another machine before this Mac? How was that experience?

Edit: I see this runs OK on your Intel MacBook. Does that Mac have 16gb or more RAM? Looking at this thread:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/583728/m1-basic-configuration-enough

It seems that the 8GB you have on your Mac Mini might not be quite enough to run the game well. One way to check to see if that’s the problem is to lower the resolution, textures and shadows to the lowest possible setting and see if that helps improve the lag you’re seeing.

Eric Volker wrote:

Hey Bob, how’s your latency in ESO? You can check by typing:

/latency

In your ESO chat window. If it’s over 100ms or so the lag may be
due to network issues. If you’re on WiFi you could try plugging
directly into your router to lower latency.

Did you play ESO on another machine before this Mac? How was that
experience?

Edit: I see this runs OK on your Intel MacBook. Does that Mac have
16gb or more RAM? Looking at this thread:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/583728/m1-basic-configuration-enough

It seems that the 8GB you have on your Mac Mini might not be quite
enough to run the game well. One way to check to see if that’s the
problem is to lower the resolution, textures and shadows to the
lowest possible setting and see if that helps improve the lag
you’re seeing.

I have an 16GB M1 MacBook Pro 13. It also has the full 8core GPU. The experience with the Mac client is ok just crashes a lot (Known issue they never fix.) The input lag is from the mouse and keyboard. It might be lag going to the service as that is how this MMO works. And yes I'm on wifi. I don't have lag on the native side or Stadia. Reason I'd like to get this working in CrossOver is I see a jump in performance on the FPS side.

I actually reinstalled ESO on my M1 MacBook Air after a long hiatus and it was a huge download. But after installing it and loading my low level sorcerer, I had enough info to ask a few more questions. The Windows version of ESO defaults to ‘Ultra’ settings which could potentially be a problem.

1. What kind of fps are you getting with your existing settings? 15 fps? 60 fps?
  2. Hit Escape in the game, and click on Settings. Check your “Display Mode”, “Resolution” and “Graphics Quality”. If the resolution is 2560x1600 I’d suggest Medium graphics quality, or at 1280x800 Ultra should work fine. It may take a bit of tweaking to find an acceptable balance between graphics and performance.
  3. Do you have anything running in the background like web browsers, music players, video editors, etc?
  4. Are you using a wireless keyboard and/or mouse? Do you have a controller?
  5. Do you have DXVK enabled for the ESO bottle? (The answer should be ‘Yes’.)
  6. Did you install into an ESO bottle? I’m using a generic Steam bottle and getting pretty good performance, but it’s best to use the specific bottle for your game.

Sorry for the long list, but weird problems like the one you’re experiencing can have a lot of potential causes. It’s been so long since I played, all my sorc's skills were reset and I’ll need to respec most everything. So I can’t test for input lag in a big fight ATM.

Eric Volker wrote:

I actually reinstalled ESO on my M1 MacBook Air after a long hiatus
and it was a huge download. But after installing it and loading my
low level sorcerer, I had enough info to ask a few more questions.
The Windows version of ESO defaults to ‘Ultra’ settings which
could potentially be a problem.

1. What kind of fps are you getting with your existing settings? 15
    fps? 60 fps?
  2. Hit Escape in the game, and click on Settings. Check your
    “Display Mode”, “Resolution” and “Graphics Quality”. If
    the resolution is 2560x1600 I’d suggest Medium graphics quality,
    or at 1280x800 Ultra should work fine. It may take a bit of
    tweaking to find an acceptable balance between graphics and
    performance.
  3. Do you have anything running in the background like web browsers,
    music players, video editors, etc?
  4. Are you using a wireless keyboard and/or mouse? Do you have a
    controller?
  5. Do you have DXVK enabled for the ESO bottle? (The answer should
    be ‘Yes’.)
  6. Did you install into an ESO bottle? I’m using a generic Steam
    bottle and getting pretty good performance, but it’s best to use
    the specific bottle for your game.

Sorry for the long list, but weird problems like the one you’re
experiencing can have a lot of potential causes. It’s been so long
since I played, all my sorc's skills were reset and I’ll need to
respec most everything. So I can’t test for input lag in a big
fight ATM.

Thank you so much for the reply! My config is a custom one similar to the Mac config. It's at 1080p and roughly medium+ with high texture and quality for the models with low visibility and low shadows, etc. It should perform well. I get 30 - 45 FPS, sometimes 60. It's 15-30FPS over what the native client gets. I do have DXVK enabled. I get the wobbly latency on mouse movement (not the pointer but the reaction in game. ) I don't think it clears up changing the resolution. I'll try playing with the settings but if it's less than what I can use on the native I'll call this one done and put up with the crashes or use Stadia.

Bob Warren wrote:

Thank you so much for the reply! My config is a custom one similar
to the Mac config. It's at 1080p and roughly medium+ with high
texture and quality for the models with low visibility and low
shadows, etc. It should perform well. I get 30 - 45 FPS, sometimes

1. It's 15-30FPS over what the native client gets. I do have DXVK
    enabled. I get the wobbly latency on mouse movement (not the
    pointer but the reaction in game. ) I don't think it clears up
    changing the resolution. I'll try playing with the settings but if
    it's less than what I can use on the native I'll call this one done
    and put up with the crashes or use Stadia.

You're welcome. Totally get not wanting to spend more time twiddling settings than actually gaming. Last thing I'll leave you with: usually when I see lag in WINE usually the culprit is anti-aliasing or shadows. I'd try dropping those settings first. Good luck!

Eric Volker wrote:

Bob Warren wrote:

Thank you so much for the reply! My config is a
custom one similar to the Mac config. It's at 1080p and roughly
medium+ with high texture and quality for the models with low
visibility and low shadows, etc. It should perform well. I get

• 45 FPS, sometimes 60. It's 15-30FPS over what the native client
    gets. I do have DXVK enabled. I get the wobbly latency on mouse
    movement (not the pointer but the reaction in game. ) I don't
    think
    it clears up changing the resolution. I'll try playing with the
    settings but if it's less than what I can use on the native I'll
    call this one done and put up with the crashes or use Stadia.

You're welcome. Totally get not wanting to spend more time twiddling
settings than actually gaming. Last thing I'll leave you with:
usually when I see lag in WINE usually the culprit is anti-aliasing
or shadows. I'd try dropping those settings first. Good luck!

Fiddled with the settings and lowered the graphic quality. It still seems to lag on the mouse and keyboard. It reminds me of the meme cartoon.

There may be an issue with my gaming mouse (Razer Mamba.) I wonder if it's too fast? Also my keyboard is a dasKeyboard for Mac. Maybe also too fast?

1 to 21 of 21

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicGNHQ2VXV1NjVXFRY1JVQSIsImdkcHIiOjB9