CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Sudden resolution issues when everything previously was fine

Hi, I'm still on the free trial. I downloaded Steam and played a game.
Today when I boot Crossover everything is pixelated, both the game and the Steam app. Applications no longer seem to detect that my screen is higher than 1080p. Game settings max out at 1980x1080.

I have a feeling Final Fantasy XIV has something to do with it, that game has a "native' Mac app which I downloaded yesterday and I think it actually runs in Crossover or something. That app has the same pixelation. So maybe it messed with my Crossover settings? I don't know... I didn't personally touch anything in Crossover myself.

Selecting High Resolution Mode solves the issue, it forces everything to 4k on my 4k monitor. But it makes everything hard to read on Steam. I don't know why I ended up with this problem when I didn't touch any settings.

Hi there,

The Final Fantasy XIV port shouldn't have caused this issue. It sounds like you're using two monitors? Did the problems start when you changed the number of monitors you had plugged in?

Thanks,
Meredith

pigzig wrote:

Hi, I'm still on the free trial. I downloaded Steam and played a
game.
Today when I boot Crossover everything is pixelated, both the game
and the Steam app. Applications no longer seem to detect that my
screen is higher than 1080p. Game settings max out at 1980x1080.

Sounds normal as by default macOS does a scaled resolution.

pigzig wrote:

I have a feeling Final Fantasy XIV has something to do with it, that
game has a "native' Mac app which I downloaded yesterday and I think
it actually runs in Crossover or something. That app has the same
pixelation. So maybe it messed with my Crossover settings? I don't
know... I didn't personally touch anything in Crossover myself.

The FF “native” client is a wine64 wrapper by CodeWeavers, that shouldn’t interact with one another well unless you had both open at the time time maybe? But still don’t see wine64 communicating across prefixes.

pigzig wrote:

Selecting High Resolution Mode solves the issue, it forces
everything to 4k on my 4k monitor. But it makes everything hard to
read on Steam. I don't know why I ended up with this problem when I
didn't touch any settings.

Launch winecfg as change the DPI setting so the font is readable that should help with apps that behave correctly but not all apps are high DPI aware. Current wine doesn’t really handle high dpi fully but then again that’s also the same for Windows.

Fonts look like bad when not using High resolution mode, but this also then requires changing the DPI setting causing some apps to simply break.

I do plug and unplug from an external monitor a lot. I am currently on Monterey beta, so it's possible that is the culprit. Maybe some bug there causes it. When I get the energy to look into it back, I might actually try my mom's Mac and see what happens on there.

Dean Greer wrote:

Sounds normal as by default macOS does a scaled resolution.

If I go into high resolution mode but set the game to 1980x1080, it will look better than high resolution mode off at 1980x1080.
Is that normal behaviour? Like, it's always pixelated outside of high resolution mode.

Thanks for replies. I am a bit tired after fiddling with settings yesterday so for now I'm just leaving things in the high resolution mode.

Update. Today it went back to working normally again. Definitely a bug of some sort, perhaps due to being on Monterey beta like I mentioned. Or related to the external monitor somehow. It's the M1 Macbook Pro and I unplug from the external monitor almost every day.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQ3A1VlY1eUZtZkdLVXQ2MiIsImdkcHIiOjB9