CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

UFO Aftermath won't start a game

Newest version from Steam and version 21 of Crossover causes an error starting the game. I am unable to see the error but switching to another monitor let me see partially something about a file not being able to open.

This is on an M1 MacBook Pro 13.

Hi Bob,

I am using M1 MacBook Pro 13" running macOS Big Sur 11.6 and I was able to play UFO Aftermath on Steam using CrossOver 21.

Are you installing Steam in a Windows 7 64-bit bottle and have DXVK enable?

Regards,
Youa

Youa Yang wrote:

Hi Bob,

I am using M1 MacBook Pro 13" running macOS Big Sur 11.6 and I was
able to play UFO Aftermath on Steam using CrossOver 21.

Are you installing Steam in a Windows 7 64-bit bottle and have DXVK
enable?

Regards,
Youa

I'll try this, I've had so much bad luck getting anything to run well (or at all.) I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong when using software through Crossover. Older versions I played Deus Ex: Revision fairly well as well as Invisible War (mostly) well. I'm clearly not doing something right. Love the interface and how nicely put together this is. I use to tune Wine a lot manually and like this concept if I can get this to give a degree of compatibily besides install, crash, or hickup so badly I can't use it.

I tried these settings, however, It crashed just as before starting a new game. Something pops up hidden behind the game and locks everything up. If I hit enter it closes.

Hi Bob,

If you're able to provide the wording in the error message you're seeing, it's possible someone might know how to fix it?

Best,
Meredith

Meredith Johnson wrote:

Hi Bob,

If you're able to provide the wording in the error message you're
seeing, it's possible someone might know how to fix it?

Best,
Meredith

I wish I could see it. It pops up and is hidden behind a frozen screen. Only reason I know something is broken is for a brief moment I saw something before it closed.

Check if there’s someway to force a windowed mode to avoid the freezing.

Dean Greer wrote:

Check if there’s someway to force a windowed mode to avoid the
freezing.

I figured out the windowed mode: pass --option fullscreen=FALSE in the steam executable for UFO.

It still crashes when you start a game with tutorial, but I could capture the error:

assert_fatal

Ver: UFO:AM RELEASE 1.4 file:C:\wotan\workdir\ASL\kvfs.cpp line:152 "Profiles/Default/Saves/strat_00000000.vfs": can't open file

Bob Warren wrote:

Dean Greer wrote:

Check if there’s someway to force a windowed mode
to avoid the freezing.

I figured out the windowed mode: pass --option fullscreen=FALSE in
the steam executable for UFO.

It still crashes when you start a game with tutorial, but I could
capture the error:

assert_fatal

Ver: UFO:AM RELEASE 1.4 file:C:\wotan\workdir\ASL\kvfs.cpp line:152
"Profiles/Default/Saves/strat_00000000.vfs": can't open file

Ok last thing, you can in fact start the game but no tutorial. I'll play a bit and see how possible it is to run it.

Bob Warren wrote:

Bob Warren wrote:

Dean Greer wrote:

Check if there’s someway to force a

windowed mode to avoid the freezing.

I figured out the windowed mode: pass --option fullscreen=FALSE
in

capture the error:

assert_fatal

Ver: UFO:AM RELEASE 1.4 file:C:\wotan\workdir\ASL\kvfs.cpp
line:152

Crassh on save. It's basically unplayable.

Ok last thing, you can in fact start the game but no tutorial. I'll
play a bit and see how possible it is to run it.

Bob Warren wrote:

Bob Warren wrote:

Bob Warren wrote:

Dean Greer wrote:

Check if there’s

someway to force a windowed mode to avoid the freezing.

I figured out the windowed mode: pass --option fullscreen=FALSE
in

capture the error:

assert_fatal

Ver: UFO:AM RELEASE 1.4 file:C:\wotan\workdir\ASL\kvfs.cpp
line:152

I figured it out! You have to manually create the
directory"profiles..." in the C: drive. After that it saves and
does not crash.

Crassh on save. It's basically unplayable.

Ok last thing, you can in fact start the game but no tutorial.
I'll
play a bit and see how possible it is to run it.

It locked up completely and had to reset my Mac. I will play in Parallels as it's faster ans safer, unfortunately. Parallels barfs on fullscreen (which Crossover did not.)

1 to 12 of 12

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieHhTZDhYQmF5bkVaU2JnayIsImdkcHIiOjB9