CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Fallout 4 Crash on Startup with xaudio2_7 Override on M1

Whenever I override xaudio2_7 on M1 Fallout 4 crashes on startup, I can run the game without xaudio2_7 but then I don't get complete sound. Anyone else have this issue? Is there any solution?

Hi there,

Yes, sadly this is a known issue with no workaround. We are investigating a fix for a future CrossOver release.

Best,
Meredith

Any update to this? It's been a couple months.

I have the same problem.
Only way to solve this is to wait for next CrossOver updates?
If somebody knows any progress, please let us know.

Best,

The only way I have found to work around the audio problems w/ Fallout 4 and Crossover 21 is to downgrade to Crossover 20. The old version will generate a warning in Monterey but should function just fine.

Eric Volker wrote:

The only way I have found to work around the audio problems w/
Fallout 4 and Crossover 21 is to downgrade to Crossover 20. The old
version will generate a warning in Monterey but should function just
fine.

Really? I also tried Crossover20 and it worked only for the first launch.
After 2nd time, It does not work with black screen.
Did you do something special?

Best,

Recently Fallout 4 has been exhibiting a very strange problem on M1 CPUs. I've noticed this both in Crossover, and when trying to run in it a virtual machine. If you're trying to run it in Crossover, it will only run on the first launch (assuming all the settings are correct.) After the first launch, you have to reboot your Mac. Once your back at the desktop, Fallout seems to work fine again, until you exit. Then - you guessed it - you have to reboot again. I have no earthly clue what is causing this weird behavior, or how widespread it is. Or why it would happen in Crossover and the competition's product...

Eric Volker wrote:

Recently Fallout 4 has been exhibiting a very strange problem on M1
CPUs. I've noticed this both in Crossover, and when trying to run in
it a virtual machine. If you're trying to run it in Crossover, it
will only run on the first launch (assuming all the settings are
correct.) After the first launch, you have to reboot your Mac. Once
your back at the desktop, Fallout seems to work fine again, until
you exit. Then - you guessed it - you have to reboot again. I have
no earthly clue what is causing this weird behavior, or how
widespread it is. Or why it would happen in Crossover and the
competition's product...

Thank you for the reply.
I tried downgrading CrossOver to 20 again, but now it is really unstable.
Even for the first launch, it is super rare to work...
I will keep checking.

Maybe to check Activity Monitor after quitting Fallout 4 if there are some processes left out, to manually force quit them.

I spent a couple of hours testing this problem on an Intel Mac w/ Monterey and Mojave. And the problem exists there too, even if I use Crossover 20. Out of perhaps a dozen attempts to run Fallout 4, I got it to start twice, and never could isolate the conditions necessary for it to run properly.

If anyone has had better luck getting it to run, please let me know how.

Eric Volker wrote:

I spent a couple of hours testing this problem on an Intel Mac w/
Monterey and Mojave. And the problem exists there too, even if I use
Crossover 20. Out of perhaps a dozen attempts to run Fallout 4, I
got it to start twice, and never could isolate the conditions
necessary for it to run properly.

If anyone has had better luck getting it to run, please let me know
how.

I managed to get it running consistently a while ago now but it was using porting kit instead of crossover. It still had the occasional black screen at launch but it worked about half of the time when launching. I found verifying game files every time before you launch the game helped it to launch for some reason. I also could never find the exact cause of the black screen and all I could do was verify game files and keep restarting the game until it launched. Hopefully it gets fixed in the near future because the latest dxvk and moltenVK seem to completely fix the black screen issue if not using the audio overrides.

Anybody knows if this problem is fixed on New CrossOver 22 ?

no, same issue in 22.. I thought they were working on a fix

Just chiming in that I couldn't get it to work with crossover 22 on my mbp m1 max (running monterey). Had to use portingkit

Hugo Gonzalez wrote:

Had to use portingkit

The way I’d gotten it working for PortingKit entailed adding a game specific hack.

That wouldn’t be something that CodeWeavers would want to add as it could have unknown side affects for other titles.

The only reason PortingKit could get away with this is it a build specifically for Fallout4, I’d agreed to make it after being provided a Steam key.

I cant even get it to run once you take out x3audio_7 override... There's has to be a work around by now...

The startup crashes even with the correct .dlls overridden seems to be possibly unique to higher specced machines, since it apparently runs ok on the base M1.

For my part, on the M1 Max, I experience the startup crashes that are only resolved by a macOS reboot. Sometimes it launches multiple times consecutively without issue, but in those cases, I have no ingame audio, only "movie" cutscene audio. I have xaudio2_6, xaudio2_7 and x3daudio1_6 overridden. x3daudio1_7 causes the startup crash consistently, so I do not override it. Modifying the graphics settings at all also causes the startup crash to manifest.

Attempting to log the issue is frustrating, since it can only be logged if launched initially through Steam. Launching the .exe directly will launch the Launcher, and the Launcher will launch Steam instead of the game if Steam is not open. Sorting the .exe log output from Steam log output is not something I have familiarity with.

I have also tried overriding various xact .dlls, but to no effect, they seem to possibly cause the startup crash.

When in-game (without audio), looking at certain objects or actors seems to cause a crash as well.

Fallout 4!

in 2023 this doesn't work for me all I get is the black screen. I did the audio work around the 360 mouse, and I lowered the graphics.. this is the second time I bought a game and it doesn't work..

Regarding Fallout 4 game startup crashes (after hitting "Play" in the Fallout startup window) when the first run worked fine:

For me it helps to delete the folder "377160" within
/Users/[YOURUSERNAME]/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/[YOUR BOTTLE NAME]/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/shadercache

It might be that this "377160" is just a random number for my current Bottle or Fallout instance. So it might be different for you.

Worked fine with Mac Sonoma 14.2.1 and Crossover 23.7.1 on Mac M1 Max.

This fix seems to be the one that worked for me; game consistently launches now, rather than black screen and crash.

1 to 20 of 20

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQlcyWDhzM3hKZ3ozNzdrayIsImdkcHIiOjB9