CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Overwatch on Mac

After adding DXVK support on CrossOver 21 for Mac, I had some hope to get Overwatch running on Mac. Given that linux users have been running it with a very good experience for some time now.

I tried to run it both on an Intel Mac and an M1 Max Mac, and the results are the same.

One first issue that I encountered, is that the Battle.net client does not open. I was able to install it and to log in (although log in was a bit trickier because there were some white rectangles in the UI), but after installing the main UI does not show up.
The battle.net icon appears on the menu bar and you can right click it to reveal the list of games and open the config (that does work).

Installing Battle.net and then Overwatch through it is not an option because of the main UI version. The other approach is using the standalone Overwatch installer (that also installs Battle.net but kicks off the download/installation process of Overwatch).
The Overwatch bottle has a broken link, while the correct link is: https://www.battle.net/download/getInstallerForGame?os=win&gameProgram=OVERWATCH&version=Live

Overwatch is installed successfully, but when opening it, an error showing "Game Initialization Failed: I" pops up:

I tried with both the latest stable build and a recent nightly (2120211030) and the result is the same.

I also uploaded the CrossOver logs:

I found some linux users having these issues years ago, they solved them by installing some dependencies. I found some docs about these dependencies on the lutris repo: https://github.com/lutris/docs/blob/master/Battle.Net.md

Overwatch is supposed to leave some logs in the Documents folder but I can't find anything there (I even tried removing the Desktop integration features on the Wine Configuration so that "My Documents" is not linked to the Documents folder in my Mac).

I wonder if I should open up a support ticket or if this is the right place for discussion.

Thanks!

I executed Overwatch with the verbose logs to see if there are more clues there about what could be wrong.

On line 244198 you can see the game initialization error message box being populated:

00b8:Call user32.MessageBoxW(00000000,0021fd50 L"Game Initialization Failed: I",0021fd40 L"ERROR",00000010) ret=1400b7171

Three lines before that one, there's a TLS (thread local storage) callback exception. I wonder if that's what causing the game to abort.

00b8:exception 80000003 in TLS callback (proc=0000000142515578,module=0000000140000000,reason=PROCESS_ATTACH,reserved=0)

I uploaded the full logs here: Overwatch debug logs (23.8 MB)

EDIT: I'm starting to think this is their anti-debugging / anti-cheat. It seems to be related to ntdll. After looking deeper, I found this: https://github.com/gamax92/wine-overwatch/wiki/FAQ

EDIT 2: The previous info is related to launching Overwatch. I've also tried to investigate the Battle.net client issues further.
After adding ucrtbase (native, builtin) to the list of library overrides (I saw that in winehq's appdb as a solution for some Linux users that had an issue with the main window not being visible, the override seems not longer be needed now), the Battle.net client shows an error reporter window after launching.

Now the Battle.net cxlog shows a few things that are not implemented on the platform. Looking into wine's source, I've seen that some of these are implemented on Linux but not on macOS.

07dc:fixme:seh:get_thread_times not implemented on this platform
07dc:fixme:file:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
0804:fixme:seh:get_thread_times not implemented on this platform
00d4:fixme:seh:get_thread_times not implemented on this platform
00d4:fixme:ntdll:create_logical_proc_info Relationship filtering not implemented: 0x3
00d4:fixme:ntdll:create_logical_proc_info Relationship filtering not implemented: 0x3
00d4:fixme:ntdll:create_logical_proc_info Relationship filtering not implemented: 0x0
00d4:fixme:ntdll:create_logical_proc_info Relationship filtering not implemented: 0x0
07dc:fixme:service:I_ScRegisterDeviceNotification Notification filters are not yet implemented.
07dc:fixme:system:DisplayConfigGetDeviceInfo Unimplemented packet type: 11
02e4:fixme:seh:get_thread_times not implemented on this platform
07dc:fixme:system:DisplayConfigGetDeviceInfo Unimplemented packet type: 11
01a0:fixme:seh:get_thread_times not implemented on this platform
02ac:fixme:seh:get_thread_times not implemented on this platform
02ac:fixme:ntdll:create_logical_proc_info Relationship filtering not implemented: 0x3
02ac:fixme:ntdll:create_logical_proc_info Relationship filtering not implemented: 0x3

Battle.net now works well with the latest Crossover version! Can install Overwatch through it.
Overwatch still does not launch (probably because of the ntdll stuff).

Is there any hope?

Hi, i wonder too if there's any chance we can play Overwatch someday ?
Maybe with CrossOver v22 ?

Thank you for your help.

I tried installing Overwatch with Crossover Version 21.1 (21.1.0.33869), same outcome as previous users, Battle.net installs correctly, but Overwatch fails to start: "Game Initialization Failed: I" pops up as soon as you launch the game.
I would love to play Overwatch on Mac (M1), hope it happens sometime in the near future! Fingers crossed

Edit: I was wrong. It is Bungie, and they block Destiny 2 players on Steam Deck and Linux.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/03/why-the-steam-deck-might-be-too-open-for-fortnite-and-destiny-2/

Yes I would like to see overwatch support as well. That is the one game I really want on crossover.

I would like to see overwatch on macOS via crossover because it is playable on Linux via Wine/Lutris. Is there any chance to install overwatch like on linux?

That is great to hear and hopefully means we are getting Overwatch in the next release!!

Looking forward to overwatch crossover 22.1

I love CrossOver but in this case I would prefer an official Blizzard support for a macOS version... same with Diablo on Mac App Store. Blizzard is getting worse and worse.

I supposte there are technological limit too to run Overwatch on CrossOver 22, Crossover 23 will support newer DirectX as well other than have optimisations.

Lately my experience with CrossOver on Apple Silicon is not so good, I understand it is already a miracle but things will improve with better Metal, better Metal support, native CrossOver and go on. This just to say than even with Overwatch launching I would't expect great performance with today CrossOver.

Anyone able to get Overwatch working on the newest release?

I would have to agree. As much as I love CrossOver Native is still better. I hope with the Microsoft acquision the Apple support gets better but I think it might be the opposite.

1 to 14 of 14

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYmdHa3ZVRVRiN1VNTnJ3dSIsImdkcHIiOjB9