CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Videos not playing in Steam games. Screen stays black with no sound.

Greetings everyone,

I'm currently testing the trial version of Crossover 21.1, mainly to run Steam games, on
M1 MacBook Air (16GB).

The only trouble that I currently experience, is that in-game videos (intros, credits, etc.)
just are black screens without sound.

For example the videos in "Trails in the Sky" (DirectX9) or "Monster Train" (DirectX 11) don't
show up. Knowing that the videos are supposed to be there, I can skip the black screens
via mouse clicking, and just play the games.

But I'd really like to get videos working. I already tried a Google search, but did not manage
to get any usable results.

So, does anyone know what I can do about that?

Ok, meanwhile I got one step further. I managed to create a debugging log for each game.
And both log files contain the same error:

"ERROR:dxva_video_decode_accelerator_win.cc(1341)] DXVAVDA error: Could not load msmpeg2vdec.dll: Module not found. (0x7E)".

Does anyone know how to get around this issue in a quick manner?

Ok, I think I got the gist of it. That problem seems to be legally unsolvable in this forum...

That missing file from the error is part of "Media Foundation" developed by Microsoft,
and it seems that Codeweavers just cannot distribute it together with CrossOver.

So I think that I shouldn't further discuss that here.

Case closed.

This may be a shot in the dark but possibly if you install VLC and/or K-lite codec pack mega edition and see if it fixes your issue

https://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieDh1bU5WS0pyOEhTM1luZiIsImdkcHIiOjB9