CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Vulkan 1.1 failure

Good day all:

Attempting to play Hammerting on Steam through Crossover 21.1 for Mac. Hammerting requires 64 bit, Directx 11 and Windows 10.

My system:

2020 MacBook Pro M1 13"

Crossover Steam bottle install settings:

Windows 10 64bit

Also installed Directx for Modern games in bottle per forum advice.

Steam runs fine, Hammerting downloads, and on start up I receive two error messages on a black screen. The first says:

Vulkan 1.1 graphics API system call failed

and a suggestion to update my Nvidia drivers (impossible for obvious reasons),

the second says:

tdtd: the game has crashed

Callstack:
0: render_render_device_create
1: render_render_ctx_create

and a bunch of other mumbo jumbo.

At this point, after extensive searching for fixes, I'm installing MoltenVK via Macports via Xcode 13 on my laptop to hopefully get Vulkan 1.1 working with the Metal M1 GPU my MacBook Pro has. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Any help appreciated.

Hi Clayton,

CrossOver ships with MoltenVK; however, it is clear from your error messages that this game isn't supported on CrossOver :/ I strongly advise against trying to install a different MoltenVK version, as that could cause more issues.

Best,
Meredith

Mirroring what Meredith already said it’s not a good idea to change out the shipped copy of MoltenVK.

Clayton Weis wrote:

I'm installing MoltenVK via Macports via Xcode 13 on my laptop to
hopefully get Vulkan 1.1 working with the Metal M1 GPU my MacBook
Pro has. I have no idea what I'm doing

Macports installs an ancient version of MoltenVK (1.0.27) that also doesn’t include the needed patches to support the included version of DXVK.

In fact the MoltenVK Port maintainer actually refuses to merge any PR that attempts to update it. Claiming it’s due to not know knowing how it would affect wine when there wine Ports are ancient at this point. (wine@4.0.4 & wine-devel@4.9)

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiOHYyS1V5WFBkQUtmczVKOSIsImdkcHIiOjB9