CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Plans for macOS Ventura support

Hi folks,

We’ve been getting many inquiries about the macOS Ventura developer beta, so I wanted to give you a bit more background about our future plans for Ventura support (and how we typically go about offering support for new macOS versions in general).

As I mentioned above, macOS Ventura is currently in developer beta, the purpose of which is to allow developers to test their own applications for compatibility. While we understand it can be disappointing for end users who decide to try out the developer beta to see that applications like CrossOver are not working right away with the first developer beta, it’s not unexpected. That same beta is also our first chance to see the changes and figure out what we need to do for support. It’s always a top priority for both our QA and developer teams to install the developer beta when it is ready and start testing CrossOver.

As many of you have found, CrossOver 21.2 does not work on Ventura and will not be supported there. We already have a fix in place for the error on launch for CrossOver 22 , and our initial basic tests show promise. We will continue to do our deep testing dive to identify and fix any other potential bugs.

That brings me to question of when official support will be announced. Betas are always unstable, so we cannot in good faith claim support for a macOS version still in beta. We will work on fixing problems as we find them, but we ultimately have to wait for a stable Ventura release before we can say that we have an officially supported CrossOver version for Ventura.

As some of you may remember from Monterey, we worked with Apple on a fix that allowed CrossOver 21 to run very well with Monterey betas, but we held off on declaring official support until Monterey was released and we fixed a minor issue. It’s too soon to tell yet what our exact path to Ventura support will be: we have more testing to do, and we need to wait and see what future betas bring. That said, we will be aggressive about fixing issues as we find them so that we can have a version of CrossOver that is officially supported as soon after Ventura’s release as possible. But short of official support, it’s possible we may have a CrossOver version that we can claim works “pretty well” on Ventura betas in the interim.

Lastly, I’d also like to remind everyone that CodeWeavers does not recommend the use of beta OS versions, and for the reasons mentioned above, we cannot offer support for them. When our beta center is open, we are happy to receive testing reports from OS betas, but our official stance is that you’re using them at your own risk.

Thanks,
Meredith
CrossOver Product Manager

10 4

macos Ventura will be released today, any updates regarding this issue?

Keep an eye on our blog today for an update :-)

Best,
Meredith

MacOS Ventura is released today. I'm downloading it as I write this. Hoping it would be supported. Must I stop the download?
Hik. Please work!

I have beta-tested my Case It application (www. caseitproject.org) for years on new releases of Crossover, and it runs fine on Monterey and earlier Mac OSs. But it is glacially slow on Ventura, via Crossover 22, to the point of being almost unusable. I'm running it on a brand-new Mac Mini with the M1 chip, so it is not a hardware speed issue, and I am using Apple's recent release of Ventura. My authoring system is very old (Director MX), but works well for my purposes and my application runs very fast on Windows 11 (and acceptably fast on Monterey). Has anyone else had serious speed issues with Crossover 22 on Ventura?

Mark Bergland wrote:

I have beta-tested my Case It application (www. caseitproject.org) for years on new releases of Crossover, and it runs fine on Monterey and earlier Mac OSs. But it is glacially slow on Ventura, via Crossover 22, to the point of being almost unusable. I'm running it on a brand-new Mac Mini with the M1 chip, so it is not a hardware speed issue, and I am using Apple's recent release of Ventura. My authoring system is very old (Director MX), but works well for my purposes and my application runs very fast on Windows 11 (and acceptably fast on Monterey). Has anyone else had serious speed issues with Crossover 22 on Ventura?

Hi Mark,

Just to confirm, Case It was running acceptably fast on Monterey with CrossOver 22 on the same Mac Mini that currently has Ventura and is running slow?

Best,
Meredith

I did not try running Case It on the new Mac Mini (which came with Monterey), before upgrading the Mini to Ventura. Case It runs fine with Crossover on my 2017 MacBook Air, running Monterey. To clarify my earlier post, Case It opens quickly and certain functions (like cutting large DNA sequences with restriction enzymes) run about as fast as they did before, but when I try to load and run a gel or blot the various steps of the procedure (staining fragments, etc) are very slow, and the resulting gel is hidden by the main window, rather than on top of it as it should be. This was never an issue with earlier versions of Crossover. My authoring system is ancient (Director MX, from 2003), but as I said the Case It application runs very fast on Windows 11, and acceptably fast on Monterey via Crossover. So it seems that some Lingo commands are being processed very slowly with Crossover on Ventura.

Hi Mark,

So this is your first time trying this application on an M1 Mac, correct? In that case, it's definitely possible you're running into a Rosetta bug. Rosetta is not optimized for some older instructions, and we do know of performance issues with other applications (in particular, those using x87 instruction sets). Our development team has reported those known issues to Apple, but a fix would need to come from them; we can't work around Rosetta issues.

If you send in a support ticket with exact instructions on how to reproduce and are able to make available an installer for the application, our support team can file a bug, and one of our developers might be able to take a look and determine for sure if it's a Rosetta issue or not. But again, if it is a Rosetta issue, we won't be able to provide a fix.

Best,
Meredith

I ran Case It on a 2019 MacBook Pro that has a 9th generation Intel chip, with Ventura, and ran into the same problem. So apparently it isn't an M1 chip issue. Here is a link to a PDF file that gives the download link for the latest version of the Case It application. Please run it on Windows 11, then on Monterey and Ventura via Crossover 22, following these steps after extracting the Case It folder, which includes the executable (there is no 'installer' per se). The executable must stay inside the Case It folder.

1. Click the silver button bar to open a DNA file, go to the Cases folder, select the Cases folder, and shift-click to select the three files in the 'DNA size markers' folder. They will appear in the 'Opened & processed' window.
  2. Shift-click in the Opened & processed window to highlight the three files.
  3. Use the 'Quick Load / Run' button at the bottom of the 'Opened & Processed' window and select 'DNA gel --> Load well[s] & run gel in one step --> Stain DNA fragments purple [methylene blue]. On Windows 11 and Monterey, you will quickly see fragments in three lanes of the gel.

It works on Ventura and you get the correct results, but takes much longer than on Monterey, and to see the gel you have to move the main window several times, and then click on the gel to see all of the fragments. So I don't know if this is a Rosetta issue, a Ventura issue, or a WINE issue. Other features, such as running qPCR and displaying results as a complex graph, work just as fast on Ventura as they do on Monterey, despite having to execute many lines of code. The program uses a very old Lingo Xtra, called TextCruncher, to locate text in very large files, and it works just as fast on Ventura as it does on Monterey. For example, with my Mac MINI it instantly finds a cut site in a text file with over 1 million characters. So this problem with displaying gels is really mystifying.

I was having problems submitting the above via a support ticket - could you pass this information on? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Hi again Mark,

I'm not a member of our support team; please submit a ticket so one of them can assist. If the issue is on Apple's end, we unfortunately won't be able to do much.

Best,
Meredith

OK, I was able to submit a support ticket. Thanks for your help!

1 to 11 of 11

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUnZaQndjZ2hLMnRrbXdHZSIsImdkcHIiOjB9