CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Playing GTA Online after a CrossOver upgrade

Hi folks,

We have gotten reports from users that they are getting banned from GTA Online after upgrading to CrossOver 22. This does not seem to affect all users, and our internal QA team was not able to consistently see the issue. Unfortunately, our best guess is that the change in Wine version between CrossOver 21 and CrossOver 22 looks suspicious to GTA Online and is triggering the ban.

We hope that a fresh install of Grand Theft Auto V on CrossOver 22 will prevent users from getting banned. We recommend installing Grand Theft Auto V into a new bottle and deleting the ~/Documents/Rockstar Games folder before playing GTA Online on CrossOver 22. It is possible that just deleting the ~/Documents/Rockstar Games folder would be sufficient, but since this issue is not consistently reproducible, we cannot say for certain.

We apologize for the inconvenience this causes our GTA Online users. If there were something we could do on our end to prevent bans, we absolutely would. But since we aren’t privy to the exact factors that could cause a ban, we can’t anticipate and work around them. We appreciate your understanding. Please let us know either in a comment on this post or in a support ticket if the steps outline above work for you.

Best,
Meredith
CrossOver Product Manager

Publishers and game studios shouldn't ban people for just using the operating system of their choice. There shouldn't be any need for a workaround.

Bachsau wrote:

Publishers and game studios shouldn't ban people for just using the operating system of their choice. There shouldn't be any need for a workaround.

Please read the above message again.

This has only started to occur with CX22, meaning that wine lightly now does something the anti cheat deems worthy of a ban.

For all CW staffers know these people reporting bans could have also been using modified versions of MoltenVK along with DXVK-async and some textures didn’t render correctly making the anti cheat assume a wall hack was being used (see though items etc) so it banned them.

I think this is practically impossible, because what leads Gta V Online to ban someone has nothing to do with it.

The ban is permanent?

No, they banned me for a month, but maybe the bans increase the more you get banned.

2

Is there a lawyer on this forum that can confirm if it´s legal for them to ban users for using CO or WINE on a game?.

Someone should stop this guys.

Regards

Mike wrote:

No, they banned me for a month, but maybe the bans increase the more you get banned.

Ok good to know. I'm gonna upgrade to CrossOver 22 without deleting any profiles or creating any new bottle and see what happens. Will keep you informed when possible. Note that I'm using the GNU/Linux version not the macOS one.

Edit: played almost 3 hours to GTA 5 Online and no issues at all.

1

I think it's because of DXVK-async because I got banned the day after trying DXVK-async.
Of course I'm not sure if it's true because I got banned two weeks ago and I can't remember the details :(

Edit: Now im sure is because DXVK-async.
I was banned on August 8th, and I also found my download record for that day.!
The download log shows that I downloaded DXVK-async an hour before the banned for the day.
S H I T :(

Edit again: Also try not to use MoltenVK!

Hqiul wrote:

I was banned on August 8th, and I also found my download record for that day.!
The download log shows that I downloaded DXVK-async an hour before the banned for the day.

Edit again: Also try not to use MoltenVK!

But DXVK-async and MoltenVK are not included by default do they? Why would you use them?

wait you mean you were playing on crossover for linux?

uhax wrote:

But DXVK-async and MoltenVK are not included by default do they? Why would you use them?

CrossOver for mac does include DXVK and MoltenVK but many users are following third-party "guides" that have them replacing these with the promise to "improve performance". So DXVK gets replaced with DXVK-async and MoltenVK gets replaced with a newer version (CX22 has newer MoltenVK now than most of these guides)

Hi there,
maybe the following could be the reason as well?
I installed Crossover 22, the Rockstar Games Launcher and GTA 5 from scratch. I didn't make any customizations to the bottle settings except one thing. I enabled "DXVK" as backend for D3D11, as it is disabled per default. Once I started the game the second time I got the warning from Rockstar Games Launcher: "Unexpected files have been found in the install directory of Grand Theft Auto V. Use of unofficial modifications to the game is not supported and may result in being banned from online content."
I looked inside the install directory of GTA 5 and I saw a couple of dxvk-cache and log files ("GTA5.dxvk-cache", "SocialClubHelper.dxvk-cache", "GTA5_d3d11.log", "GTRA5_d3d10.log"). Could those files maybe the reason for that warning and subsequently for being banned from GTA Online? Could it also be, that those files are placed in the install directory of GTA 5 only if you use the Rockstar Games Launcher? With Steam (which also uses "DXVK" as backend) I didn't find those files in the directories of some other games.

2

Hi there,

would you mind me telling where is the install directory of Grand Theft Auto V
and also are these logs only stored in Crossover 22, because playing Grand Theft Auto: Online on Crossover 21 works perfectly, if those logs are only stored on Crossover 22, there is a possibility that the logs may be interfering with the game's anti-cheat system.

thanks.

The install directory is at "Program Files/Rockstar Games/Grand Theft Auto V". You can find it when you click on "Open drive C:" in your Rockstar Games Launcher Bottle. I don't know whether those files are only stored in Crossover 22 since this is the first version I'm using. I also think that those additional files are interfering with the game's anti cheat. I hope someone from Codeweavers can confirm it.

As subject line says: got an e-mail today from Rockstar that I am banned for a month because of allegedly violating their Terms of use or EULA. Also says that all items, progress etc. are reset to zero. If I hadn‘t just played around for a few minutes, THAT would really piss me off. What is a bit strange, though, is that I have only played once and that was more than a week ago. So what has triggered the e-mail today? As you may have seen from another thread, I am having issues with the story mode (characters just „ghosts“ against a nearly-white background) since the last CrossOver update but how would that interfere with the Online mode? CodeWeaver team: I hope that you can fix that. I had installed GTA V clean into a Steam bottle with CrossOver 22. No mods, nothing.

Peer Nils Schröder wrote:

As subject line says: got an e-mail today from Rockstar that I am banned for a month because of allegedly violating their Terms of use or EULA. Also says that all items, progress etc. are reset to zero. If I hadn‘t just played around for a few minutes, THAT would really piss me off. What is a bit strange, though, is that I have only played once and that was more than a week ago. So what has triggered the e-mail today? As you may have seen from another thread, I am having issues with the story mode (characters just „ghosts“ against a nearly-white background) since the last CrossOver update but how would that interfere with the Online mode? CodeWeaver team: I hope that you can fix that. I had installed GTA V clean into a Steam bottle with CrossOver 22. No mods, nothing.

These are commonly referred to a ban waves you don’t instantly ban someone as doing so might tip them off to what the anti-cheat system caught so they hold off and ban any flagged accounts together.

Having characters not rendering correctly could be seen as you using a see through walls type hack, many anti-cheat systems have methods in-place that detect this.

Dean Greer wrote:
Having characters not rendering correctly could be seen as you using a see through walls type hack, many anti-cheat systems have methods in-place that detect this.

Thanks for your thoughts on why I might have been banned. However, I only experienced the rendering issues in Story Mode. So I am not sure how this could lead to a ban in GTA V Online (which I have not even accessed since the rendering issue turned up).

It is a bit disturbing for me that a glitch in Wine or CrossOver leads to me not being able to use a game I paid for (yes, bought some extras for GTA V Online on Steam).

Peer Nils Schröder wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts on why I might have been banned. However, I only experienced the rendering issues in Story Mode. So I am not sure how this could lead to a ban in GTA V Online (which I have not even accessed since the rendering issue turned up).

It is a bit disturbing for me that a glitch in Wine or CrossOver leads to me not being able to use a game I paid for (yes, bought some extras for GTA V Online on Steam).

When you were online the GTA Online server could have requested your client to render something and send back the results and it was wrong causing the ban.

There’s many many ways online games check for cheaters and unfortunately those can get tripped up by the dll/exe files. Some venders use a known whitelist of “good” checksums this can even affect Windows users if the latest checksum isn’t added to there whitelist.

Unfortunately there’s nothing that CodeWeavers can do on there end without directly support from Rockstar.

1 to 19 of 19

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZ2FHdzlraGhZZU5nUVR5USIsImdkcHIiOjB9