CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

is it possible to add GStreamer ugly?

I found out that Ultima IX actually works correctly with Wine on Linux if the GStreamer ugly codes are installed. Is that somehow possible for Crossover Mac?
I could see that you can fix this on Linux via cxxfix (https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/Diag/MissingGstreamer1Ugly)

Hi there,

We hope to offer GStreamer support on Mac in the future, but there are no workarounds at this time.

Best,
Meredith

Thank you for your reply! Bummer, though :(

Is there an ETA for this?
I know the fight for gstreamer is there for several, I think years now. If that'll be available there will be much more supported games so I am very excited about this.

I am currently using a VM for the games I'd love to play because there are several issues even with a light visual novel where either fonts are missing or the video playback doesn't work (well, roughly in all of vns) because of the media player codec is missing, and it's only rarely works with WMP10. I have several titles but all of them are bugged in some way.
But I'd be really happy if these could be sorted out, I love Crossover and I know there are tons of work needed because of the macOS limitations and as many reverse-engineering needed, so keep up the good work, I'll keep an eye on the changelogs.

kushwavez wrote:

Is there an ETA for this?
I know the fight for gstreamer is there for several, I think years now. If that'll be available there will be much more supported games so I am very excited about this.

I am currently using a VM for the games I'd love to play because there are several issues even with a light visual novel where either fonts are missing or the video playback doesn't work (well, roughly in all of vns) because of the media player codec is missing, and it's only rarely works with WMP10. I have several titles but all of them are bugged in some way.
But I'd be really happy if these could be sorted out, I love Crossover and I know there are tons of work needed because of the macOS limitations and as many reverse-engineering needed, so keep up the good work, I'll keep an eye on the changelogs.

Currently WoW64 (prior wine32on64) doesn’t have thunks for gstreamer meaning only native 32Bit “wine” and “wine64” can support winegstreamer currently.

Another larger issue would be possibly licensing issues with some of the gst-plugins that isn’t an issue on Linux as that falls on the end-user/distro where for macOS you’d need to ship all of gstreamer meaning any licensing issues could fallback on CodeWeavers.

Last year Zeb did assist me in setting up a custom gstreamer build aimed at being used for winegstreamer, packing gstreamer along with its plugins has been externally irritating putting it mildly.

Edit: removed my previous post as I was mistakenly thinking a fix landed on Wine that would help my pet game Ultima IX, but its problems are only with gstreamer.

Nethertheless, when I install wine-devel through brew, gstreamer from https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/download/ gets installed and this indeed makes the cutscenes of Ultima IX run.
So the question is rather if you could make use of this package (https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/download/) as well?

del

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoibnFRWmd1ZHR0OXR0RzZaTCIsImdkcHIiOjB9