CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

.exe games and apps not working anymore ("has returned 52" error)

My friend was gifted a new MacBook Air (M1) and was not too happy about it because of the incompatibility of most games (small ones) and apps he had on his old and not anymore working pc with Windows. Of all the solutions we tried, Crossover seemed to be the only one working.

After some months, some days ago, he wasn't able to boot up some apps and (don't remember if it was just one or more) for games (which worked as .exe files) it also says there is an error, with the message "ha ritornato 52" (in Italian, our language) which in english is "has returned 52", I belive; no information found about it.
Point is he can't use Crossover anymore. We tried reinstalling it several times, and we tried reinstalling some apps, nothing worked, same errors.

Additional information is that in reinstalling and extracting a specific game, inside a folder named "ModUploader", a folder named "macOS" that wasn't supposed to be empty was, in fact, empty (checked by comparing my files on Windows with his files on mac).
I don't really know if it is an indication of what is happening to his mac but it seems that his computer doesn't want to extract these files.

In conclusion; I don't know if it is a problem with Crossover or with his computer but it worked fine until now. The only thing we haven't yet tried is to reset the whole pc.
Also, if someone knows of working alternatives for playing games and using windows apps on M1 Mac and wants to lend a had we would be happy to be assisted and/or guided. Thank you.

Hi there,

Its going to be difficult to help you out, try to give further information as kind of macos version, game, kind of bottle your using, I assume the Error pops in a "windowish" screen as an error occurred within the bottle right?

BTW Error 52, under windows, is a Bad file name or number, more info as follows:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/language/reference/user-interface-help/bad-file-name-or-number-error-52

It may be possible that you revoke permissions to Crossover to access the files? could you check that out in settings -> security -> files and folders -> Crossover and also total access to the disk -> Crossover switch to enable.

Another possibility is some kind of antivirus deleting the files you are copying?

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidWg2SEtBTGFQbnNIWmFDZyIsImdkcHIiOjB9