CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam games not launching

hello all, I installed crossover and steam on my m1 macbook air yesterday. I downloaded two games to try and their installation is complete. but steam won't launch games. I click start the game, the game closes before it starts in three or four seconds and the start game button appears again. Steam application also freezes mostly, especially on the library page. Directx and core fonts are installed.

Hi there,

What games are you trying to run? It's possible someone here will know of workarounds for specific games.

Best,
Meredith

I have the same problem on MacBook Air M2. It is by Steam, old games like Caesar 3 or Pharaoh. It worked on my previous M1 MacBook in November. (Currently I have no idea if this is HW related or there was some SW change).
Btw. the same is on behaviour is on Porting Kit . Game starts in fullscreen and immediately crash.

World of Tanks works perfect.

Not sure if it will help, but I have had a similar issues sometimes on Borderland the PreSequel. Closing steam, simulating a reboot of the bottle, and re-launching steam usually fixes it. However, this is for a game that typically runs, but sometimes gets stuck in a mode where it won't launch, it may not be the same as your situation.

This is also happening to me. Have crossover installed, Steam installed, and Myst 5 installed but Myst 5 pops up with the wine preloader for a few seconds, I can choose the language I want the game to run in and then it quits.
As a side note, I thought to give crossover full disc access in my security settings just in case it was a security issue. My internet connection is slow, so I haven't tried this on any other larger games, but i did also try it on Commander Keen and same issue, wine preloader opens, I can select which Keen game I want to play, then it just quits.
Mac M1 2020 still running Big Sur

Actually... poking around a bit more, in Steam in Crossover I right clicked Myst 5 and went to Manage- Browse local files & found the .exe for myst 5 and decided to try and launch it from there. Surprisingly it worked, the game launched. However, upon quitting it to come mention this, Steam won't boot up anymore. I've reinstalled it into Crossover, but it doesn't get past logging into my account. Very interesting.

I can't get the problems and solutions reproducible. Sometimes a simulated reboot of steam works to get it to boot again, sometimes the whole computer needs a re-boot to get Steam to open after quitting the games, sometimes the games launch from steam itself, sometimes they will only launch from Manage - browse local files and yet sometimes they don't launch at all with any method. when the games do run, they're slow and clunky despite having a machine that should be more than capable of smooth play. I can't find a common denominator as to why these things are failing. Sad, I thought it would be a good way to enjoy a few games on the M1 and not have to resort to my old and slow vista laptop but alas, I guess not.

Same thing happening with Age of Empires II Definitive Edition. All good until today. Both a new update for the game and Steam were installed, and now the game won't launch.

Some people on Github have mentioned it might be related to wintrust.

All of the dlls and exes are signed by one of the game's developers.

When WinVerifyTrust() is called on those DLLs, it returns TRUST_E_CERT_SIGNATURE (0x80096004) once. The game seems to call it again, and it succeeds the second time, but the game nevertheless treats this as a failure, and refuses to continue.

Patching wintrust to assume all modules are validly signed is enough to get the game to run. However, there are concerns that this workaround (which was proposed for Proton, not Crossover, btw) might cause a tampering alert by the game, and result in a ban on multiplayer games.

So far, this is all I have understood. I have no idea how to patch this on Crossover, or how to find a workaround similar to what is described (link for those interested: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/3189) .

The exact same issue is happening to me.

I tried to play AoE 2 DE on my MacBook Pro M1 just as usual, and the game just never launches.
I click Play on Steam, the button changes to Stop and after 5-10 seconds the button changes back to Play again.
I have reinstalled Steam, the game, created a new bottle from zero and nothing seems to work.

I don't know if AoE 2 DE update had something to do with it, but the timing matches.

I hope someone can fix this!

Same here, AOE II is not launching at all anymore. Any help?

AOE2 def edition not working for me either, same as described in earlier posts. Following this thread.

Old games are working however just tried to test the popular 'Only Up!' and crashes after 15 seconds of trying to load. Would be good to understand what the issue is on this.

The same happens to me, I try to open the game and the splash of Steam keeps loading around. Please help us to fix the Age of Empires II Definitive Edition launch issue. :)

Hi folks,

AOE II DE will be fixed for CrossOver 23, which will be entering beta soon. As always, please enter a support ticket so you can be notified of a fix.

Best,
Meredith

I'm in the AoE DE camp. Do we have an approximate date for crossover 23?

Thanks,

Ham

I had the same problem with FAR: Changing Tide on Steam with CrossOver. I think I might miss some libraries which the game requires, but CrossOver doesn't install them by default. I am not sure about it. Hope somebody gives me a clue.

edited: Original content of this message no longer relevant.

1 to 17 of 17

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWnU0dnpaVDVhdUx2ZGFyOCIsImdkcHIiOjB9