CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam hangs and stopped working after macOS Ventura update to 13.3

Until yesterday night, everything was working perfectly. I left my laptop upgrading the macOS Ventura to the latest version (v13.3) and this morning Steam app doesn't load anymore. It just hangs kind of not having a network connection. My internet is fine, tested it multiple ways on my laptop and is super fast, to be honest.

I deleted the bottle (app) and reinstalled it all again, still same issue.

Any thoughts?

Technical Info

• macOS v13.3
  • CrossOver v22.1 (22.1.0.35672)
  • Wine 7.7
  • Steam installed via CrossOver UI over bottle type Windows 7 64-bit

It’s a known issue with 13.3 affecting a good amount of applications. They’re working on a fix, not sure when it will be out though.

22.1.1 released April 4th has fixed this issue for me.

have updated and tried everything. still not working for me properly.

luke j wrote:

have updated and tried everything. still not working for me properly.

Hi there,

Did your problems only start once updating to macOS 13.3? Or did they start before. It's possible there's something else going wrong, like network connection issues or anti-virus causing problems for CrossOver.

Best,
Meredith

yes, issue has been here since I updated to Ventura. Didnt make a difference going from 13.2.1 to 13.3.1 . Where can i try other fixes?

Ive turned off the private relay icloud thing,.

luke j wrote:

yes, issue has been here since I updated to Ventura. Didnt make a difference going from 13.2.1 to 13.3.1 . Where can i try other fixes?

Ive turned off the private relay icloud thing,.

Are you running any antivirus software? Does using a different internet connection (like a mobile hotspot) help? Does a new Steam install make any difference?

Best,
Meredith

I have just turned off Malware Bytes and tried hotspotting already.

Didnt make a difference.

Have reinstalled everything 5 times.

So, i have managed to download and play age of empires after a ton of messing around. Ever since then i havnet been able to get back into the game nor steam.

Very confnusing and frustrating

It's possible Malware Bytes already corrupted your CrossOver install. I would fully uninstall CrossOver (https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/uninstall) then reinstall. If that doesn't help, please open a support ticket for further assistance.

Best,
Meredith

nope. doesnt work still.

My upgrade worked fine but I store everything locally, it looks like you are using the iCloud which is one more thing to fail. I did notice an improvement after reinstalling the Steam bottle.

I'm also facing the same issue on macOS 13.3.1 with Crossover 22.1.1. I've tried re-installing Steam in a new bottle, but it crashes just after completing login.

I am also having this issue with 13.3.1.

It's not isolated to crossover ether; wine in general has broken support for the windows Steam client.

This is odd. The crash after Steam login was happening for me too. I updated to the MacOS 13.3 and it solved the problem.

Even then, the other problem I found was with an external monitor connected. It changed my screen resolution and then Steam crashed after login. I fiddled with the display settings and Steam stopped crashing. You could try experimenting with different resolutions. Weird, I know, but it worked.

I am new to crossover, but I have to say it is very frustrating.

Steam seems to work only half the time if at all: at least on a M2 MacBook Pro running on 13.4.1.

If it runs, which seems to be random, it sometimes has a black screen, and if on the rare occasion it does open up it is very, very laggy to a point where it can't be used at all, crashes or just freezes up. If sometimes it actually does work good enough for being able to start a game, the game won't open, but produce and error and shut everything down to a point where steam can't be opened again.

Am I missing something?

Yes, same problem here. Steam won't even start

Macbook Air M2, 2022
MacOS Ventura 13.4.1 (22F82)
CrossOver 22.1.1

Works now with this fix: https://github.com/Gcenx/CrossOver-fixes

I have the same issue. Steam doesn't want to launch. Tried the above mentioned workaround but without succes.

Using MacOs 13.5 (22G74)
Crossover Version 22.1.1 (22.1.1.35679)

1 to 17 of 17

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieW1zaHl3UDMyYkhxbmhwbSIsImdkcHIiOjB9