CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Not a single game worked so far

So, I really wanted to try at least 1 game before I buy Crossover, because it was suppose to be by far the best performing emulator for Windows games on mac. To my big dissapointement I couldn't run not even a single game so far. I did manage to install and run Steam, but than my library is not that big and none of games which I tried from there worked. Some runs the game, but freezes right away, some don't even run etc.

Ok, I didn't really care about that, since most of my games come in installation files/folders. And I have tried 3 of them:
GTA V, Witcher 3 and God of War.
I get more or less the same error for all of them. I create a bottle, try to install .exe file of game installation into that bottle, and error is always the same right after firts step:

https://gyazo.com/aa2e1832d0b87ee9a326c60f81b94382

Tried on M2 pro, using latest MacOS (Ventura)

I would appreciate any help, but for now this seems just way too cumbersome to use.
While windows 11 arm in parallels oth, most of my games actually work there, even though performance is not great- that's why I wanted to try this suppose to be great Crossover.
I have a dedicated Windows machine for games, but I really really wanted to try this new age Mac gaming, but I think using Crossover turned me away for a very long time now lol.

Make sure you have DXVK & CSMT options turned on for your steam bottle. Are you installing steam from a download from steams website or from within crossover using the "Install Application into Bottle" option and searching for steam? Make sure you install it though "Install Application into Bottle" as it will install other files not necessarily installed by the steam installer.

Hello. Thank you for your answer, but my main problem isn't with Steam, but that I can't install any game from installation file/folder. And wheter is original or cracked game, result is the same - nothing installs, nothing runs, watched 10+ tutorials, this is just garbage.

GTAV from Steam should work as long as it’s granted it’s requested permissions though you’ll see input lag when if playing with keyboard & mouse.

Witcher3 after the next gen update defaults to DX12 you need to force the game to run using the DX11 backend then it will run.

God Of War actually won’t work without downgrading then patching the games executable.

Thank you sir, that explains a lot and also confirms my initial thought: Crossover is useless for Mac gaming lol.
It's fine, we have PCs for games, but for the price...it should work MUCH better and less cumbersome. Out of 6 or 7 games I have tried, not a single one worked as advertised, complete garbage use case. For this price anyone would have much better experience with some "Geforce now" type of gaming or even just run Win games through Parallels and lose FPS - at least it will work right away.

I just wanted to inject that I have a MAC Studio and I have no problem running GTA 5 under Crossover. Crossover does announce it's running out of RAM sometimes even though there's still plenty of free RAM in the system. That should indicate that the bottle does not see or use all system RAM.
I also use a X-box controller together with my track ball for aiming and shooting.

Luka wrote:

Thank you sir, that explains a lot and also confirms my initial thought: Crossover is useless for Mac gaming lol.
It's fine, we have PCs for games, but for the price...it should work MUCH better and less cumbersome. Out of 6 or 7 games I have tried, not a single one worked as advertised, complete garbage use case. For this price anyone would have much better experience with some "Geforce now" type of gaming or even just run Win games through Parallels and lose FPS - at least it will work right away.

Your expecting to play Windows games to run perfectly on macOS your exceptions are misplaced.

Native macOS games run amazingly, if your main intention is playing Windows games buy/build and system and install Windows.

GeForce Now isn’t worth the money, Parallels Desktop has vastly worse performance outside of legacy 32Bit games (without additional work)

As explained nice if your main intention is running Windows games run Windows.

Compatibility can break when games, Crossover or MacOS get updated. That's why Codeweavers offers 14 days trial of Crossover to give you a chance to test your games before you buy. Playing Windows games on Mac through Wine or Parallels is never as easy as native PC gaming.

Most games “just work”. I play Lord of the Rings Online, it was easy to install and runs great with Crossover. Other games I have installed into Crossover bottles that I had even less trouble with and which run very well:
Batman: Arkham Origins
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction (including the PlugY mod)
Freedom Force
Star Trek: Starfleet Command
The Witcher
…and quite a bunch of others that I installed, mucked about with briefly for the sake of nostalgia or to help someone else overcome a technical challenge; and then deleted.

Games that require some third party “launcher” for DRM or other reasons (such as Steam) or get refused by some server because of nonworking anticheat thingies seem to generate the most problems based on what I’ve read here over the last 3 years.

I play LOTRO nearly every day and I’m extremely happy to be able to do so without emulation or having to use an actual Windows box or needing to reboot to run Windows on my Mac via Boot Camp. For someone like me whose game or games install and run well on Crossover, it’s fantastic. Some games require a bit more effort to install and to tweak so that they’ll run well; I have not had these issues but I know they happen and if they’re happening to you then you need to be willing to work with Codeweavers support and other Crossover users running the same game to fix things up for yourself. But that level of hobbyist effort isn’t everyone’s cup of tea and if you are in that camp and want to play a bunch of Windows games then there is no question you are better off getting a Windows box. It doesn’t have to replace your Mac for everything else you do with a computer, but it should be pretty obvious that the best way to run many/the most complex/the newest games built for Windows is to run them on an actual Windows box. For someone like me who is not a heavy video gamer, that would be a waste of both money and desk space.

The comments about Crossover being “worthless” are just over-the-top, that is patently untrue. I don’t know how many licenses of Crossover Mac that Codeweavers sells in a typical year but it must be at least in the thousands for them to still be in business and I don’t see thousands of individuals complaining – let alone rage-quitting – here in these forums or anywhere else. But Crossover might be worthless FOR YOU and that’s OK, it is not the best solution for everyone or for every Windows application.

Luka wrote:

So, I really wanted to try at least 1 game before I buy Crossover, because it was suppose to be by far the best performing emulator for Windows games on mac. To my big dissapointement I couldn't run not even a single game so far. I did manage to install and run Steam, but than my library is not that big and none of games which I tried from there worked. Some runs the game, but freezes right away, some don't even run etc.

Ok, I didn't really care about that, since most of my games come in installation files/folders. And I have tried 3 of them:
GTA V, Witcher 3 and God of War.
I get more or less the same error for all of them. I create a bottle, try to install .exe file of game installation into that bottle, and error is always the same right after firts step:

https://gyazo.com/aa2e1832d0b87ee9a326c60f81b94382

Tried on M2 pro, using latest MacOS (Ventura)

That error message is common with cracked games, as CrossOver/Wine doesn't work proactively on making sure cracked games work. If there are Steam games you're trying to run that aren't working well, it'd be helpful to know which games in case any of us have tips to get them running.

Best,
Meredith

I’m sorry to hear about your experience. I myself was thrilled to find that, with CrossOver, Dark Souls 1, 2, and 3 worked perfectly on my Mac. And so I bought CrossOver.

Hey, feel you bro. Crossover does quite bold marketing but the sad truth is that I've only managed to play Skyrim, with some annoying bugs though. I feel very disappointed, wouldn't have purchased this if I knew the truth.

Hi Jroam,

Codeweavers provides ample opportunity to test CrossOver prior to buying. There is a free fully functional 14-day trial version available:https://www.codeweavers.com/store and there is the App Compatability database: https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility to check whether the App/game you want to run actually does run.

Best, Jørgen

Just wanted to post an update here so that others who read will know that there are quite a bunch of AAA games that actually does run very well on CrossOver 23.5. The latest version is a game changer indeed.

Here's a list of games that has worked for me on my M2 Max (12-cores CPU, 38-cores GPU)

I've documented them on my blog as well here and here

Planet Zoo working now.

I never had Crossover useful for my necessity but... my necessity is to run Dovetail's Train Simulator Classic which is a dx9 game therefore - if I'm not wrong - graphics are single threaded. Now, TSC has an experimental implementation of dx12 BUT via a translation layer which uses D3Don12.dll and I believe this is not intended for extra performance but just to maintain compatibility whith recent cards that do not support dx9. So ,in any case, either Crossover in Sonoma with dx12toMetal or Parallels or a more recent machine with the same single core speed, there is no banana for the monkey.
Let me get to the conclusion: Is that CW's fault as the author of this post states? No.
Crossover is an excellent product even if you need to tweak a little in order to get your game working well. Secondly we must underline that Crossover is fine or many other apps, not just for games.
And third: as already said, Crossover is fine if you mainly work with a Mac and don't want a second machine under (or on top) your desktop for a single Win software or game. Therefore if you are a gamer, better get a pc/win machine.
Just one question to the poster (sorry,while answering I don't remember your name/nick): what the hell are you LOLing around for?

Top of the line emulator ? "WINE is not an emulator" causes much whining apparently in CX forums . It be so funny 🤣. W.I.N.E ( Wine Is Not An Emulator) . It's a compatibility layer that undergoes periodic optimizations because there is a community that supports it.

Precisionetica wrote:
---because it was suppose to be by far the best performing emulator for Windows games on mac

Top of the line emulator ? "WINE is not an emulator" causes much whining apparently in CX forums . It be so funny 🤣. W.I.N.E ( Wine Is Not An Emulator) . It's a compatibility layer that undergoes periodic optimizations because there is a community that supports it.

1 to 19 of 19

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVWhDZ1B0cm15d0J0WnM2YyIsImdkcHIiOjB9