CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver ChromeOS
Discussion about CrossOver ChromeOS and Android

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Setting DirectDraw to gdi?

To make a long story short, the game I'm trying to run displays a black screen and when I asked some people what causes that particular game to do that, one of my friends who uses normal Wine mentioned that he had to set the DirectDraw Renderer to gdi. ...That being said, I've got no idea how to do it from Crossover Chrome OS, I've looked around through every settings menu I could think of. Any ideas?

I should probably note that the game itself is working fine except for the visuals. I can hear the menu music and option selection sound effects perfectly.

Im having the same issue with Warcraft 3. Need to get Direct Draw or Direct X to install, however its failing when i try to install the components

You can play around with this through the registry. You'll need to fire up RegEdit from the Start Menu via Start->Run... and then typing in "regedit" (if you don't know how to get to a screen to do that, just reply here and I'll add the info.). From there, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER->Software->wine and then if they exist Direct3D->DirectDrawRenderer if they do not, create them (case sensitive I believe). Within the DirectDrawRenderer key, create or set the "String value" to either "gdi" or "opengl" (opengl is the default apparently, and gdi is supposedly legacy). You can get info. on some of the most useful keys here.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieUVXbmNNUTk4QU5ja0xTYiIsImdkcHIiOjB9