CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver ChromeOS
Discussion about CrossOver ChromeOS and Android

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Can't run executables

Hello

I have no option to open a file browser to access the executable I have in my download folder. And if I create an empty install place to go run the wine browser from, I can't run any executables I find in there. Neither right clicking and selecting 'open' or double clicking works.What critical (and no doubt obvious!) step am I missing?

I'm running chrome os on the beta channel with development mode on.

Hi Victoria,

You should be able to run file explorer by clicking "Start", then clicking "Run..." and then type in "explorer". I'm able to double click on .EXE files from there and run them, even if I just leave them in the "Download" directory. I will say that I have fired up two copies of explorer to attempt to drag and drop files into different locations and drag and drop (even copy and paste) does not seem to like to work. However, if you run "cmd", you can use "xcopy" to copy files from one location to another (you'll just need to go up two levels in the directory tree to see where things are). Hope that helps...

P.S. You can also use Wine Internet Explorer by typing in "iexplore" and task manager by typing in "taskmgr" amongst other things...
P.P.S. If you still can't get any .EXEs to work through explorer, you may want to just use the CMD prompt window and navigate to the .exe and try running it from there, which also seems to work...

[s]I can't get a wine desktop environment running. I start up crossover and that's almost as far as I get. If I make an empty install icon by typing in gibberish in the search bar, I can access file Explorer, command shell and wine configuration. Finding the exe in file expert from there doesn't work, not matter how I try to open it. And I can't navigate to my downloads folder from the command shell. I'm not sure what is going on.

Needing a dummies guide at the moment![/s]

Unstalled Crossover, restarted, and reinstalled it.. and suddenly my executables work. I will not question this miracle. Thanks for your advice!

OK, that's too funny. I was going to recommend that next because I had just recalled that I had done that myself! Glad it's working now.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiR0NuYTlLS2dhUFJaU0tRQyIsImdkcHIiOjB9