CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver ChromeOS
Discussion about CrossOver ChromeOS and Android

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Install for chromebook without google play store?

Hi there, google play store is managed by my school district and i cannot enable it, it there any way to install crossover without using google play stores? -preferably through a flash drive- all i can find is articles describing how to install crossover with google play or discussing how crossover can run windows apps, but no alternative installation route. I just want to run some light .exe files (i cant even use the dinosaur game on my chromebook its been blocked 😕 ) and stuff but crossover appears to be one of my only solutions (and easiest).

~thanks for you input

Well, yes, but without the Play Store, are you sure Android is even installed/running? If it is, then you'll need to enable "Unknown sources" under Settings->Security. Then you can simply fire up Chrome, type in APKMirror in the search and click the first search result, which should be APKMirror (<-- or click the link) site, click it, then type in "CrossOver" in the search field near the top right. The first result should be "CrossOver on Chrome OS Beta 17.1.0 by CodeWeavers, Inc". Click that and download it, then click it in the Downloads window and it should install. Hope that helps...

im assuming he wont be able to sideload if its locked down. He wont be able to put it into developer mode to be able to install APK files.

Very true. I was wondering if it was their machine, or just their network. If it is the school's machine, it likely gets wiped every night, and even if you could get it so that you could install APKs via sideload, you'd have to redo the process every day, and then, only if you could get on the same machine each time you wanted to use it...

sadly it does appear i cant enable the "developer mode" :( so i guess im out of luck

Ran into the same problem :(, There must be some way to bypass the pop up for developer mode, or another way to run the file.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicnFGbkZ1RnFiMjYzc1JFYSIsImdkcHIiOjB9