CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver ChromeOS
Discussion about CrossOver ChromeOS and Android

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Installing World of Warcraft 8.0+

Hey all! I'm running Crossover on my Asus C302ca Chromebook and I've gotten Battle.net installed and everything seems great until I try to install WoW. When I try to, it says "a 64 bit system is required to install World of Warcraft." This is because, ever since patch 8.0, Warcraft is 64 bit-only. Which is fine. The C302 runs a 64 bit system on a Pentium m3 chip. I think the problem is that Crossover bottles in ChromeOS are automatically created as 32 bit containers.

So, my question is - how can I tell Crossover for ChromeOS to make the bottle 64 bit instead of 32 bit?

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately, you can't.

The problem is that the Android container (at least, last time I looked, and to my knowledge it hasn't changed) on Chrome OS is 32-bit only. That means that CrossOver can't run 64-bit Windows apps on the Android that comes with Chrome OS.

If Google makes 64-bit Android available in the future on Chrome OS, we would be able to run 64-bit Windows. However, the other path is via Crostini, Google's new Linux VM available on Chrome OS. With that, you can run CrossOver Linux and 64-bit should not be a barrier. The problem in that case, currently, with games, is that the Crostini Linux VM doesn't have direct access to the GPU. However (per Google's public bug tracker) they're working on that.

I don't know of any effort underway to get 64-bit Android on Chrome OS (again, I could just be uninformed). However, it's definitely the case that work is going into giving the Crostini VM access to the GPU. So it seems likely, to me, that getting the GPU via Crostini will happen before 64-bit Android on Chrome OS will, and that will be the earliest path to playing WoW on your Chromebook. My guess, anyway.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQXNud2ZYcWJVSFVUZkJrcSIsImdkcHIiOjB9