CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver ChromeOS
Discussion about CrossOver ChromeOS and Android

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Installing CrossOver in a school media lab

Hello,

We followed the instructions to deploy CrossOver in a managed environment but it is not showing up on devices.

I work in the IT department for a school district and had a request to try to get a Windows application installed in a Chrome base lab. We set the play store as enabled for the lab and added a Chromebook to the lab OU in Google admin to create the application to push out but CrossOver never showed up on the Chromebook or any of the bases in the lab, we set it to force install so my expectation would be for it to appear, but nothing, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Seth

This is probably a really stupid question, but I figured I'd ask it anyway. Do the Chromebooks in the lab support Android? It's a limited list of Chromebooks that can actually install/run Android. If they do, then I'd think you'd need to be sure to force install Android first, since CrossOver is not a Chrome OS app, but an Android app. Then I would think you could move to force installing CrossOver into Android (if that is possible?). Hope this helps at least a little...

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm new to the world of Chromebooks so I guess I don't know. We have the option to enable the play store on them, does that mean it has Android? The model we have in the lab is Acer Chromebase 24.

Thanks,
Seth

Well, this list shows Android support being planned, but if you're actually on one of those machines and it shows the option to enable the Play Store, then I'd say you're good. What you may want to try is enabling the Play Store on one of them, make sure it fires up and then try to push out the force install of CrossOver onto that machine again and see if it works then.

Well, this list shows Android support being planned,

No new devices have got Android support for at least a year. Support seems to have ended with some devices circa 2016.

I don't believe the ability to enable the Play Store shows up if the machine won't/can't support it. I'm using an Acer R11 and when I first got it, there was no option to enable the Play Store. However, with the latest versions of Chrome OS (Stable channel), the option has appeared (it was also available earlier on the Dev Channel). Since your Chromebase 24s have Intel chips in them, they should be able to run CrossOver from the Play Store. Maybe even try setting one up completely by hand/manually with the Play Store and CrossOver, to be certain that it will work and then work backward from there with force push installing things...

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYTVodXVGSnBDdUN6UkhkcyIsImdkcHIiOjB9