CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver ChromeOS
Discussion about CrossOver ChromeOS and Android

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Please help me get this to work....

I am running the latest version of cross over on an HP Chromebook 14. I a trying to get Dwarf Fortress to work. I see that I can download it thru Crossover, but the version it installs is from 2016. I really want to be able to use the latest version.
Ive downloaded it from thier website, but its a rar file with the exe and relared game files inside, no installer. Ive been all over the net trying to figure out how to get it working but I just cant seem to figure it out. Is there anyone that could help me here? Or a way to get the install version that comes with Crossover, updared to the latest version?

Try giving this a whirl:

Use the normal installer from Codeweavers as you did before to install DF, but also download the latest Windows version of DF from their site with your Chromebook. Also install this extension on your Chromebook and use it to unrar the files for DF that you downloaded into your Chromebook's download folder. Now click once on the DF (icon) you installed using Crossover and then click once again on that same icon (not the game's icon that will come up too). From there, near the upper right you will see a cog wheel and a drop down button. Click the drop-down button and fire up File Explorer. Use it to rename and/or delete the installed DF folder and files that are there (you'll have to navigate to them) and then copy the extracted folder and files from your Chromebook's download folder to the place where the ones that you just renamed/deleted were. From what I read (not familiar with DF), the RAR file that you downloaded from the DF website is a folder structure with the game's ready to run .EXE file in it, so you should be able to just run it at this point. Hope this works for you...

Everything you said works perfectly EXCEPT the part where I copy/paste the files from the download folder to the folder where Crossover originally put Dwarf Fortress when I downloaded it thru Crossover.
When I it up with File Explorer, it opens a window that reminds me of Windows 98 lol. I can navigate to both the download folder and also to where Crossover installed Dwarf Fortress. But when I try to copy and the DF folder from the downloads folder, I hit copy, then go to where the original Dwarf Fortress folder was and hit paste, but nothing happens. No error or anything, it just does nothing. Man this is so frustrating lol. Ive been at this for days.
I know it can be done, Ive seen it. Just cant seem to find any instructions on it lol.

Bummer,

I have ran across that issue as well. Sometimes, when I copy and paste a second or third time it ends up working. But most often, what I end up doing is xcopying the files via the CMD.EXE prompt. If you're not familiar with doing that, my instructions would be the same as before, but, instead of using File Explorer to copy the files, once you've got File Explorer running, just go to the start menu and hit 'Start" and "Run" and type in "cmd.exe" Then use "CD" commands to change the drive and directory to your Y:\Download directory (if I remember the drive letter and location correctly) and then "xcopy" the DF file structure from your download directory to the proper location on your C: drive (though it might be easier to do it the other way around and xcopy from the Y:\download drive while sitting in the location of where DF is supposed to live on the C: drive).

Hi Brian!

Another user mentioned this issue to us sometime last week and I updated the Dwarf Fortress install profile to download the latest version, 44.12. How recently have you tried installing? Chrome OS should automatically receive updated Crosstie data every day or two.

If you enjoy playing Dwarf Fortress on Chrome OS and would like to help keep the game up-to-date in CrossOver, I encourage you to become an advocate! This will give you direct access to the Crosstie so you can update things like the installer media whenever needed. Learn more here: https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/advocate

Hana

For the copy / paste issue, that's a known shortcoming of Wine's builtin file explorer, which unfortunately is the only GUI tool included in Wine which can easily move files between the Chromebook's Downloads folder and the c: drive. Some people have had success installing a helper program called Total Commander into their bottles and using that to do the file copy. Getting through that can be a tricky process (and Total Commander has a few bugs which have cropped up lately if I recall). If you need help with that, this form may be a good place, but you can also send a support request to chromeos-info@codeweavers.com and someone may be able to help you. (If you do that, you might want to refer to this forum thread and also mention both installing the latest DF and your need to do a user-friendly file copy, possibly with Total Commander or some other method which our support suggests).

Lastly, though, if you want a more up-to-date version of Dwarf Fortress to be available via CrossOver's automated software installer, that's a perfect opportunity the community-driven "crosstie" database feature of our website to update or add to the Dwarf Fortress crosstie! If you do that and get a new crosstie working, you can also become an "Advocate" for Dwarf Fortress - meaning you'll get CrossOver for free on macOS and Linux, become able to earn XP points on our forums and get CodeWeavers schwag! Check out our Advocate page if you're interested: it's a great way to contribute and hopefully have some fun!

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/advocate

Hana Pagel wrote:

Hi Brian!

Another user mentioned this issue to us sometime last week and I
updated the Dwarf Fortress install profile to download the latest
version, 44.12. How recently have you tried installing? Chrome OS
should automatically receive updated Crosstie data every day or two.

If you enjoy playing Dwarf Fortress on Chrome OS and would like to
help keep the game up-to-date in CrossOver, I encourage you to
become an advocate! This will give you direct access to the Crosstie
so you can update things like the installer media whenever needed.
Learn more here: https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/advocate

Hana

Heh

Hana Pagel wrote:

Hi Brian!

Another user mentioned this issue to us sometime last week and I
updated the Dwarf Fortress install profile to download the latest
version, 44.12. How recently have you tried installing? Chrome OS
should automatically receive updated Crosstie data every day or two.

If you enjoy playing Dwarf Fortress on Chrome OS and would like to
help keep the game up-to-date in CrossOver, I encourage you to
become an advocate! This will give you direct access to the Crosstie
so you can update things like the installer media whenever needed.
Learn more here: https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/advocate

Hana

Hi Hana. It downloads version 43.05 for me. I even uninstalled and re-installed Crossover and it still downloads 43.05 for me, not 44.12. As far as helping to keep it up to date, I am a very bored individual with far too much time on my hands and I would love to do something like that. The more tasks I can fill up with, the more interesting each becomes lol.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoibXZVSFdRcTh6S25laFI4ZiIsImdkcHIiOjB9