CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver ChromeOS
Discussion about CrossOver ChromeOS and Android

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

n00b Question: ChromeOS vs Linux version

Hello! I have an i5 8g RAM Pixelbook Go, and I'm so happy with it. Using CrossOver Beta Android, I got Scrivener running after some swearing and counter-intuitive IE8 installation.

I'm having issues with ProWritingAid crashing all of the time, but it's useful for a bit; I just need to save after every edited paragraph so it's a more-or-less tolerable issue. (sent suggestion in already)

I am brand-new to Chromebooks, coming in from life-long Windows use and know nearly zero percent about Linux, so please use small words to aid my comprehension. :)

There is an option for Linux Beta that I turned on in my options.
I have the Chrome OS Beta version of CrossOver on my machine.

Now, here is the question: Should I stick to the Chrome OS Beta version, or is it possible to install the Linux version on my machine without sacrificing my sanity?

Jessica-Marie,

First off, if you turned the Linux option on, you already have Linux on your Chromebook (it's similar to turning on the Google Play Store) now. However, that's about as easy as this process gets IMO. If you're not familiar with Linux and/or the command line in any operating system, if I were you, I'd stick with CrossOver on Chrome OS Beta ... at least for now. Installing CrossOver on Linux is a command line interface (CLI) task and it is not trivial. I have done it twice (so far), and neither time was it 100% error free (and I'm very familiar with Linux and the command line) nor an easy task. I finally got tired of tracking down the installation errors, and then the runtime errors & missing libraries, etc. There are folks who have gotten it working (me included, at least to some extent) and it is supposedly more stable/capable than the Chrome OS version, but I have not found that to be the case on my Acer R11 anyway.

On the flip side, if you're willing to learn a bit about the command line and Linux, you may become one of the folks who gets it working properly on your machine. As the Chrome OS Beta version has not been updated in over a year now (it's still on version 18.1.0), and the Linux version was updated last month and is on version 19.0.2, you could likely have much better app compatibility.

Just my two cents...

Thank you for your response. That's kind of what I thought; I had a hell of a time with the command line back in the Windows 3.11 days so yeah, I'll spare my sanity and stick to what "works". Here's hoping that they'll update the Chrome OS version soon-ish. The screen flickers can be annoying...

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZGV4Zm1IQTh1R2Z2OGJORiIsImdkcHIiOjB9