CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver ChromeOS
Discussion about CrossOver ChromeOS and Android

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

I must be missing something...

I installed the trial version of crossover for Chrome OS.
I opened it; clicked "install windows software;" found Steam in the list and clicked install.
There's now a "bottle" called Steam. Cool.
Ummmmm.... There's no Steam icon anywhere in crossover or on my chromebook for me to click on.
So, how do I go to Steam and download my game and play it?

Hi there,

It sounds like it didn't finish installing - you should have been prompted to install a few dependencies before you saw the Steam install dialog. If you didn't see any of that, then Steam just didn't install. I recommend trying again, being on the lookout for popup windows for the installation.

Thanks,
Meredith

Thanks. I did miss a popup box. I figured it out after I did a full reinstall of CrossOver and then Steam. I then got both a Steam "bottle" and a Steam icon in the CO window. And Steam worked just fine.

I also initially didn't understand that when the CO box pops up asking you to buy the software, you need to click "Try It" in order for the trial version to work. I had thought that, since I had clicked on the "Trial Version" box on the website, I should just ignore that box.

Ultimately, though, despite getting Steam to work, the game I wanted to play (which is pretty old) was impossibly slow on my Chromebook. So I won't be using CO right now. Mine is an Acer Chromebook 14, and it's almost 5 years old. Thus, I'm not all that surprised that it didn't work out. Maybe I'll try again when I get a better computer!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUzlidzRTUnEyeDdtOEhKTSIsImdkcHIiOjB9