CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

General Discussion
Open forum for all topics about CrossOver, Community, Open Source, whatever.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Is it important on using CrossOver, where you would buy your game / what game launcher is it gonna use?

Hi there.

I'm new to CrossOver, and I'm on the edge of buying it today.
Plus buying the EA Star Wars bundle on the EA app too to get me started
(incl. Star Wars Battlefront II, Star Wars : Squadron, Star Wars Jedi : Fallen Order)

So my question is : is it important for running a game successfully using CrossOver...

• on what Game Store you should buy that game?
  • on what Game Launcher is it gonna be launched?

Because my worry, is if I'm gonna buy it on EA app (the new replacement for Origin) is it might not launch?

• is the EA app now supported in the latest version of CrossOver?
  • what about the Origin app?
  • Should I just buy it on Steam instead?
  • Does the majority of games that works on CrossOver, was it on Steam?

Thanks

Sharing my 2 cents on my choices of game stores.

1. I generally prefer to buy games DRM free on GOG.com which then gives you the option to download the game's offline installer.
  2. If not, the Steam or Epic is my next best choice. Steam because it generally works quite well on Crossover and Epic because you can use a 3rd party Heroic Launcher which has a direct integration launch games with Crossover/Wine.
  3. I try to avoid buying from any other stores unless the deal is really great, but I will still check first if the launcher can work on CrossOver. you can try to download the crossover trial to test and see if it works with the latest EA app. Or maybe just keep using the Origin app and not upgrade for now?

Some games/game launchers have varying levels of success with Crossover. You can go and check the ranks and comments of different applications and make your decision based on that.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZkdBdW1LWUdMWUxQcVJObiIsImdkcHIiOjB9