CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

How to install Office 2016/365 on Linux

Hello,

I have been trying to install Office on Linux Mint 19.1 for about two hours now but I have had no luck. I clicked "Install Windows software", then selected "Office 365". I downloaded the setup exe from the Microsoft website and selected that, and it auto selected a Windows 7 bottle. The installation went through but I see nothing listed under Programs and it didn't say "Setting up Office" or anything. I've heard that people have had more success with Office 2016, but I simply cannot find an installation file to use.

Can someone help me get this working please?

Thanks.

I am aware of some earlier versions of Office (mainly 2013) which requires Internet Explorer to be present for at Office installation to succeed.

So my suggestion is to install Internet Explorer from the available ties.

Then try rerunning the Office setup.

FWIW, Internet explorer has been known to fix some office installations and break others.

I would first make sure that your CrossTies are up-to-date by checking Edit -> Preferences to see if CrossTies are set to automatically update. We generally use the Office 2016 CrossTie for both Office 2016 and Office 365, and the Office 365 CrossTie was updated to match the 2016 tie fairly recently so you want to be sure you have the updated version. Note for future readers: this is likely to change and the Office 365 tie will be recommended for the 365 installer as the products become more divergent over time.

It also sounds possible that Office installed by the icons didn't show up. If you change the layout of CrossOver by clicking the icon of 3 wine bottles, you can select the Office 365 bottle specifically. Then double click on the "Edit Menus" option in the control panels section. You can click "recreate" and see if the application icons show up.

During installation, you should look for an orange Microsoft-themed splash screen followed by a white "Installing Office" splash screen; these are the indication that Office 365 itself is being installed. If you don't see these, it is likely that the installation skipped over the actual Office install portion.

Thanks,
Anna

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZlZLZ2dCeW1wR3hQa3FQVyIsImdkcHIiOjB9