CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Malware CrossOver 19.0.0 beta 2, CrossOver 19.0.0 beta 1

zipFile: Express crossover-19.0.0_beta2.zip & beta1.zip
Warning File: conhost.exe
Warining Message: Win32:Malware-gen
AntiVirus App: AVG AntiVirus & Avast AntiVirus

is it not problem?

It is indeed a problem. Several anti-virus/malware programs are incorrectly flagging CrossOver files. We have investigated this and confirmed that it is not due to an actual virus or malware issue within CrossOver. We are still working on a solution to avoid this issue, especially because at least one of the programs is actually deleting files without the users' permission rather than quarantining them.

Thank you.

Since Avast has quarantined that specific file as "malware," presumably I'll need to download CrossOver in its entirety when it is fixed? I can't even open the program now, as Catalina tells me that it has crashed. (I guess I could tell Avast to remove the file from quarantine, but I doubt it's smart enough to put the file back where it was....)

As a workaround I added /Applications/CrossOver.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOver/lib/wine as an exception in my AV software, downloaded the Crossover ZIP file again and expanded it directly in the Applications folder. I also needed to exclude the Crossover Bottles folder ~/Library/Application Support/Crossover/Bottles.

For anyone who is on this thread and wondering how to work around their antivirus software, I have written a tutorial to help out here: https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/bitdefender

We are still working on a better solution, but in the meantime you can add exceptions as Andrew said to protect CrossOver files from being deleted after being flagged incorrectly -- the tutorial outlines how to do this and specifies all of the locations to add exceptions for.

Thanks,
Anna

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoia3dIeFJZS1hzZmF1TmRNbiIsImdkcHIiOjB9