CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Failure to register DLL VSOCX32.OCX, GTNUM32.OCX, OLCH2x32.OCX for Dauntless Software

I was trying to install Dauntless Software's SafeLog, GroundSchool, and RideReady (pilot log software and flight training software respectively) using crossover.

After reading some documents to for getting unsupported apps to work, I tried installing Safelog (v 5.25 IIRC). During the install, there are three pop-ups about DLLs that fail to register: VSOCX32.OCX, GTNUM32.OCX, OLCH2x32.OCX.

I tried a specific WinXP bottle and a Win98 bottle (the article about using Win98 was right, using this bottle, the installer copied in the generic DLLs, but still couldn't register them).

On the winehq.org readinglist, I found a thread about somebody else with the same error getting their GroundSchool app to work: Flight training software install error-VSOCX32.OCX

First, I tried registering the DLLs manually. The error came back "Failed to load VSOCX32.OCX".

The user on the winehq reading list resolved his issue by installing winetricks IE6, Jet40, WSH 5.6, MDAC 2.8, and MFC 4.0.

Using the existing Crossover Installer for a separate WinXP bottle, I installed IE7 first (IE6 had a warning about not working on WinXP). That included a number of other components, fonts, flash, etc. It seemed to work OK. Next, I installed Jet 4.0. Then MDAC 2.8. So far so good. I think I noticed the C++ 6.0 redistributable was installed in a bottle when I previously tried to load SafeLog, so I went ahead and installed that. Everything was good so far.

Then, I went to install Windows Scripting Host 5.6. Oops, it doesn't work. It turns out Microsoft 'upgraded' it and now only offer 5.7. I tried pointing to that for the WSH 5.6 install in the Crossover Installer, but it came back with an error "it appears this failed to install" or something like that. Eventually, I found a old copy of WSH 5.6. I installed it, but had the same error (because I tried 5.7 first?). The windows portion didn't error this time though, so I ignored it.

The next part of the recipe was MFC (Microsoft Foundation Class?) 4.0. Based on scant research, I concluded this was in C++.

The final ingredient was to be winetricks. I know nothing about this, but a search on this forum showed it was generally considered bad ju-ju to try to use winetricks. The winetrick website says it is basically a set of shortcuts. I had no idea how much was cross-compatible, so I tried it without it.

I manually registered the DLLs. Well, I tried to. VSOCX32.OCX produced the same error "failed to load", but the other two loaded successfully.

At this point, I've invested several hours of this and I've decided to cut my losses. If it were just the training programs, I'd probably pursue it further, but I think I am better off training than continuing to fiddle with this.

FWIW, here is my conclusion: Crossover is an awesome idea. I so badly wanted to ditch everything Microsoft related, I did not want a virtual Windows box on my Mac. After 17 years in IT, exclusively supporting Microsoft backoffice products, I wanted something reliable that just worked, not something that required hours of fiddling to get to work.

Back in the real world, I have one or two apps that I really need to count on (SafeLog is the biggie) that won't run on a Mac. Other incidental apps for school or work only run on Windows. That sucks, but it is what it is and I can't take the risk of loosing my electronic flight log because the publisher makes a minor change or Microsoft changes some arbitrary code that breaks everything.

I really like Crossover, but spending hours to get my apps to work is almost as bad as my daily grind fixing Microsoft's broken OSs (the same really, since the broken code here is still Microsoft's). I'll just have to run a virtual machine as much as I hate the thought [God I hate Microsoft's garbage code].

Anyway, if somebody else is trying to install Dauntless Software, maybe my experience will help them and they can get it working much more quickly profiting by my experience. I wish them and Crossover the best of luck.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWjN1R3lrMnJjTXB4QUVBYSIsImdkcHIiOjB9