Community Forums - Unsupported Builds

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

Unsupported Build General Discussion
Comments and Questions about Unsupported Builds.
*NOTE* These builds are unsupported, do not expect full technical support in this forum.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Thief Games/System Shock

Just to note, the latest build of CXGames for the Mac (7.0.080702) has fixed a bug which is present in the stable version which caused odd black boxes to be rendered (I think this corresponds to wine bug http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11650). Also, the mouse pointer no longer is permenantly on screen.

However, I get videos for SS2/Thief 1, but not thief 2 which is a bit odd (this hasn't changed between builds). Also, to run any of the games I need to turn off one of the processors, due to a multiprocessing bug in the game itself (it would be helpful to have an in program option to do this- with wine on linux I use schedtools, but there isn't an equivalent on the Mac).

Hi,
Thanks for the reports.

I hope Apple somewhen fixes the upside down rendering problem(bug report with testcase filed a few months ago). Regarding the multithreading: We can't control that since it is completely up to the Operating System scheduler to set those properties. If there's really no tool to modify a processes scheduling properties, you might want to tell Apple that you'd have a need for such a tool. (And so should we, since this is a widespread problem among many older apps)

Has the upside down rendering bug been reported as an issue for these games? If so, I've not had an issue with it myself.

I have also noticed another odd bug, but not specific to the Thief games/SS2. Sometimes if crossover games is in focus (that is, it has the menu bar) but not necessarily running anything it tints the whole screen blue. It only does this after a game has been run, and is sporadic and not reliably reproducible. It's not a bug present in the stable build.

The upside down issue is a bug in MacOS, it doesn't honor the glPixelZoom and glRasterPos when using pixel buffer objects to speed up data transfers. Geforce 8 cards have an even worse bug that breaks PBOs entirely. We have code in CrossOver Games that detects the gf8 card at startup time and disables PBOs. Thus if you have such a card, the other bug will be avoided too.

The upside-down bug is fixed in Games 7.1 for me - at least as far as the main display goes - UI graphics are still upside down. I'm also seeing some corruption and the game has crashed several times, but it's interesting that the upside-down issue has gone away.

Ian

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUVZndVVKRmJBWTVQZG5jYyIsImdkcHIiOjB9