Community Forums - Unsupported Builds

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

Unsupported Build General Discussion
Comments and Questions about Unsupported Builds.
*NOTE* These builds are unsupported, do not expect full technical support in this forum.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Does cxgames work on freebsd?

I'm basically wondering if anybody has managed to get the newly released pc-bsd version of cxgames to run on a freebsd installation. So far I've had zero luck getting the program to even register, or read from my cdrom, let alone successfully install anything.

The only obvious sign of a problem is the endless install time and the cores being left in my home directory. cxglcheck.core and wine-pthread.core to be specific.

Honestly, it's a bit frustrating, but not really unexpected. Hopefully I'm doing something wrong. Hopefully there's some sort of a fix that can be made, otherwise it'll be tough to get people to step in to help pay their way on this.

What version of FreeBSD are you running and which applications are you trying to install? Do you have HAL installed for wine?

I'm using the 7.0 release, and I haven't been able to get anything at all to install. I've tried DCOM98, and the crossover html as well as a few games which were long shots, like warcraft III and starcraft. I'm having decidedly less luck with cxgames than I have been with regular wine.

I do have HAL installed, but I don't have a wine specific version installed, and haven't seen any references to one online. Considering that cx isn't able to read from the discs, I'd definitely consider that a possibility.

I did notice just now that there is a new patch required for wine threading in wine for versions prior to 700041, so there's a good chance that it's related to the wine-pthread cores I've been getting.

Thanks for the help so far, hopefully updating to stable will provide me with some luck.

EDIT: Nope, it seems to be broken. Or at least it's only able to install. Updating the system hasn't changed anything, it still fails to install even the basic supposed to work packages.

I think thats partially the problem. The cxgames PC-BSD version was compiled on FreeBSD 6.3, which works a bit differently from FreeBSD 7.0 with threading. (The threading on 7 is much more stable). You'll probably be better off compiling wine from ports and using it for the moment, until we can get a build done on FreeBSD 7 / PC-BSD 7.

Thanks, that sounds about right, I was thinking earlier about that. Win4BSD is in a similar state at present.

If that's what it is, I don't mind waiting around for whenever it gets a new build. The announcement probably ought to be updated, since the patch for 6.x is essentially mandatory.

I'll just continue to use the Linux version until then. On the bright side, wine is working far better right now than it did previously, I can actually install Warcraft III successfully now. Just install, the official nocd patch doesn't work. ;)

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiY1BUeVU4dm5RS25zWGRmVyIsImdkcHIiOjB9