Community Forums - Unsupported Builds

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Chromium
Our OEM port of Google's Chromium web browser.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

fonts look wrong

Amazing work. Chromium launches much faster than firefox on my ubuntu install. The fonts look really funny, though. Is there a place to fix that?

There are two things you can do to affect fonts. The first is to rebuild freetype from source, turning on the patented hinting. In Ubuntu, that appears to be unnecessary. You can also copy a Tahoma.ttf from a Windows install to ~/.cxchromium/chromium/drive_c/windows/fonts/
directory. That will probably make the change you crave.

Cheers,

Jeremy

I tried putting tahoma.ttf into the fonts directory, but that didn't change anything. It doesn't look like I'm seeing a wrong font, rather everything appears anti-aliased wrong. So letters are randomly one pixel up or down, and some strokes on characters are too thick versus too thin.

(I haven't restarted my computer since dropping the ttf file in the fonts directory, so I'll try again later after doing that.)

Thanks,
Darius

That sounds like a freetype issue; that's what you get when using the non patented hinters. I bet you're on a 64 bit system? We've seen this there. If you can grab a libfreetype.so.6.3.X from a 32 bit Debian system and put it into your /usr/lib32 directory, you'll probably get some joy.

Cheers,

Jeremy

I have several «libfreetype.so.6.3.X» files installed in my /usr/lib32 directory on 64-bit Ubuntu Hardy, but the rendering of fonts in Chromium is still deficient. Anything else I can do to resolve this problem ?...

Henri

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidEhIS0UyVXN0dnJRTkZVYSIsImdkcHIiOjB9