Community Forums - Unsupported Builds

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Chromium
Our OEM port of Google's Chromium web browser.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

In the process of installing on my 64-bit Ubuntu Hardy setup,

I received the following warning :

cxbottles: warning:

The current character encoding (UTF-8) may not be compatible with the encoding of the bottle (ISO-8859-1) This may cause applications to not find their files and thus lead to malfunctioning.

ALSA lib ../../../src/seq_hw.c:457: (snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: File or catalogue does not exist.

Despite the warning, I found Chromium in a folder entitled «CrossOver Chromium» under «Applications» and the browser loaded immediately. In certain settings, such as list serves, fonts tend to render rather unevenly (i e, rows are not level). In addition, the middle window-management button - the one which maximises/reduces window size - does not work properly : clicking on the «maximise» (a single rectangle) icon does not maximise the window concerned ; instead one has to use the edge arrows to drag it out to its maximum size. Moreover, while clicking on the icon does change it to the «reduce size» icon (two rectangles, one behind the other), but only momentarily - in less than a second the maximise icon is again displayed. In addition, scrolling with the mouse wheel is sluggish and jerky, as is the use of the scroll bar, in particular the «thumb». Apart from these difficulties, the browser works much the same as in Windows OS (I've used it in both Vista Business and XP), if a tad less snappily.....

All in all a very credible effort, which I hope will be further improved until such time as Google releases a native version for 64-bit debian Linux. Thanks for all the efforts that you developers have put into this one !...

Henri

PS : Another minor caveat - right-clicking and selecting «Copy» from the drop-down menu cannot be used to copy entries in the Chromium address/search bar No problem on Chrome) ; one is constrained to use the standard keyboard shortcuts «Ctrl + c», etc, instead....

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWVVGSlZZZjVyaHhxWUN5dSIsImdkcHIiOjB9