City of Heroes Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

My SILVER Rating for Crossover Games 7.1.0 Mac and City of Heroes

Crossover Games 7.1.0 will run City of Heroes pretty well, aside from a few bugs:

1. FSAA doesn't work. It causes Alpha channel to fail.

2. The cursor is a little messed up.

3. Heavy-lag zones like Grandville will cause the game to freeze.

4. Full-Screen isn't really full-screen because the menu bar and title bar aren't hidden.

5. The Gamma is a little off, making the game a bit darker than it's supposed to be.

Other than that, the game should be somewhat playable. I haven't tried running missions on teams, but I would guess if Grandville causes lockups, large teams might be as well.

We're close, but we're not there yet. Therefore I give it SILVER.

Jason Froikin wrote:

1. Full-Screen isn't really full-screen because the menu bar and
    title bar aren't hidden.

CrossOver presents a set of resolutions to the Windows program. One of these is "special" and represents the non-full-screen mode -- its dimensions are those of your native desktop resolution minus the menu bar. If a Windows program chooses that resolution, CrossOver does not go into full-screen mode. However, there should also be an available resolution which is the full size of your primary display (without subtracting the menu bar). If you tell the game to use that resolution (or any resolution other than the special one), then CrossOver should go into full-screen mode and hide your menu bar.

Jason Froikin wrote:

1. The Gamma is a little off, making the game a bit darker than
    it's supposed to be.

Is this due to the game deliberately altering the gamma? CrossOver Games 7.1 is the first release that has support for letting the game do that, so is this problem new with 7.1?

The first thing to try is any in-game gamma settings.

If you want, you can try the following:

) Quit CrossOver Games
) Launch Terminal (from /Applications/Utilities)
) In the Terminal window, type the following:
defaults write com.codeweavers.CrossOverGames AllowGamma never
) Launch CrossOver Games and retest CoH for the darkness

To undo the above, you would use the following command (when CrossOver Games is not running):
defaults delete com.codeweavers.CrossOverGames AllowGamma

In addition to "never", other valid values for that setting are "fullscreen" (the default) or "always". "fullscreen" means that games may only alter the display gamma when CrossOver is in full-screen mode. "always" means they can alter in in windowed mode, too.

Jason Froikin wrote:

1. The cursor is a little messed up.

Ever since I started using Compatible Cursors, at least on my ATI-based iMac, I haven't had any trouble with mouse cursors at all.

Jason Froikin wrote:

1. The Gamma is a little off, making the game a bit darker than
    it's supposed to be.

I believe this has more to do with the graphics support, and the complete lack of shaders, than with gamma.

The game has always been 'darker' than it should be in Crossover, with and without settable gamma support. This is likely going to come back to apple's openGL imp.

Jason Froikin wrote:

Other than that, the game should be somewhat playable. I haven't
tried running missions on teams, but I would guess if Grandville
causes lockups, large teams might be as well.

We're close, but we're not there yet. Therefore I give it SILVER.

In my case, I can't consider this game above 'bronze' at best, due to the input issues. Stefan has replicated part of the keyboard issues.. If they can solve that and the mouse issue I mentioned in the previous thread, then I could support a Silver rating. Until then, I have to disagree.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiY0g2SGhHTnBIZ045UzR2ZSIsImdkcHIiOjB9