Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

quitting steam issue

well, asides from games occasionally crashing and the portals in Portal sometimes not rendering, every time I quit steam it does not quit normally.

when I quit the 'Shutting Down' dialog from Crossover appears, followed by an error dialog from Steam saying that it hat to quit by an error...

is this normal or is there a way to fix it?

May i know what is you operating system?
Apart from that , you could start out by reinstalling steam in a new bottle

Do tell if the problem still persist

Snow Leopard... 10.6.1

Do you happen to use a ati graphic card?

I also have this.
I get a error message:

Steam.exe(main exception): Error shutting down Steam Engine:
*SteamShutdownEngine(0x33eb54) failed with fatal error 2: Steam Library
has not initialized

I use i MBP early 2009
Mine is not ATI, it's Nvidia.

I still sit on Lepard 10.5.8

The GPU shouldn't matter for Steam itself. It matters for the games, but Steam itself only starts D3D to find out which card and driver version are used, to pop up the driver dialog if the driver is outdated.

Dawda wrote:

*SteamShutdownEngine(0x33eb54) failed with fatal error 2: Steam
Library
has not initialized

Huh, I have never seen this ☹️ . Do you have any third party security app, or other app that injects its code into foreign processes? A good way to find out is to create a fresh user account and install crossover games and steam there.

I have had this exact same problem since upgrading to Snow Leopard. It primarily occurs when I close steam, and try to open it from the dock. In Snow Leopard once steam is closed and in the dock, it cannot be reopened. Somebody else also had this same problem after upgrading from Leopard to Snow Leopard, I forget who it was though.

It occurs quite frequently while playing TF2 for me as well, particularly if I enter a server from steam, instead of from within Team Fortress 2. This also began to happen after the upgrade to Snow Leopard.

While I'm at it, I lost around 30 fps on the CSS graphics test just from upgrading to Snow Leopard.

that's exactly the same message i get.

Do you also run Snow Leopard?

Dawda wrote:

*SteamShutdownEngine(0x33eb54) failed with fatal error 2: Steam
Library
has not initialized

I also have this. I'm running Snow Leopard on a summer 2007 Macbook Pro with NVIDIA 8600M GT and I'm getting the same error. Also, Steam does not reappear after closing it (Steam does not reopen upon clicking the CrossOver Games icon in the dock).

I used to get these error messages but that's because I simply used to press command-Q to quit both Steam and Crossover. But then I learned that by doing so I would get these annoying error messages so I began to quit Steam first then Crossover games separately and they both shutdown smoothly with no problems at all. So the trick is to quit Steam first, thereby quitting Crossover games thereafter and you'll be fine.

1 to 11 of 11

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRTNUQXBGUzQzV0ZSemJkVyIsImdkcHIiOjB9