Civilization IV Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Tips for making the non-Steam version work using CrossOver Games anyone?

Are there any tips on getting this to work using the CD-based install method on CrossOver Games?

The problem is the CD authentication the copy protection scheme does. The copy protection driver does not yet work in CrossOver, and on Macs MacOS forbits direct SCSI access which Windows copy protection schemes need.

Some game vendors, notably Blizzard, offer patches that remove the copy protection from their games. Maybe you can ask the Civ4 vendor for the same, this will get the non-Steam version working.

But what does work is installing the CD based first two games (civ 4 and then civ 4 warlords) and using a steam purchased version of beyond the sword. I tried it yesterday it it works great.

edit: forgot to mention is used Crossover Games

Andreas Marr wrote:

But what does work is installing the CD based first two games (civ 4
and then civ 4 warlords) and using a steam purchased version of
beyond the sword. I tried it yesterday it it works great.

That's a great tip! If everything else fails, i'll take this route. 😊

Ugh, this is frustrating. Just found out that Steam doesn't sell the entire Civilization 4 series to customers in Singapore (where i'm at) apparently. And there isn't a working no-DVD patch for the latest version of Civ 4 to be found either. ☹️

Finally managed to get the CD-based install of Civ 4 working under CrossOver Games. 😊 To anyone who is trying to do the same, be sure to try using version 1.61 instead of 1.74.

Thanks for the great work CodeWeavers!

I've just installed CodeOver Games and wanted to play my copy of Civilization IV. Unfortunately it doesn't work because of copy protection. So I have the same problem. :/

(Major props to stefand for his patient babysitting on irc while I got this working)

I have the retail version of Civ4:BtS working on my MacBookPro under Crossover Games. Steps I took:

1) I had a complete up to date install (including nocd hack) on my bootcamp WinXP partition. I copied this over to the bottle.

2) Start Crossover Games, then select the Program|Run Command menu item. Turn logging on, then navigate to your BtS exe. When you run it, it fails with an Error 53. Look in the log and see which version of the d3dx9_xx.dll you are missing. Mine was d3dx_33.dll, yours may vary. A quick google for the file will find it - download it and install into the windows/system32 directory for your bottle.

3) Now if you try to run BtS it should get to the initialization screen (this can take several minutes, be patient!) and eventually error out with the infamous "can't load shaders" civ bug. You need to download this specific version of directx and install it into your bottle using the Program|Run Command menu item (pointed to your dxsetup.exe)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=B406CF67-D926-463B-99E8-27199D6626B5&displaylang=en

4) In your home directory under Document/My Games/Beyond The Sword directory is a Civ4.ini file. You probably want to set fullscreen=0.

5) Run Civ4:BtS (remember, it takes a while to load) and play!

Thanks Lance for this help. But I am affraid, it does not work with me.

1) I copied only the "Firaxis Games" folder and the "Documents and Settings" folder to the bottle. Did you copy more?
2) I got the Error 53 and fixed that with d3dx_33.dll. No problem here.
3) When I tried to open now, I got the message "Caught unhandled exception creating XML parser object / Current XML file is:" and no XML file specified. Error 255. I thought, I first try to install DirectX. No problem there.
4) Changed fullscreen=0
5) Same old XML error. Now I turned logging on.

The problem seems to be msxml3.dll.

err:ole:COMPOBJ_DllList_Add couldn't load in-process dll L"msxml3.dll"

I tried:

1) to change the mode to use the library (native / builtin)
2) download a new msxml3.dll from the internet and use that
3) use the msxml3.dll in my BootCamp installation.

No luck. Did you have some problems with that, too?

Thanks for some help!

Andrej - I forgot the step about installing MSXML 3, sorry! Just google for install msxml3 and you should find the msft download pretty quickly. Install that and you should be good to go...

Thanks. I totally didn't get that I could use the Install Command in CrossOver to install .msi installation files, too. Now it works. Well, there are some graphical glitches that makes playing Civ IV a bit less fun than under BootCamp, but at least it works. Thanks for the help!

I was able to get CivIV:BTS working by finding the correct DLLs via the log and installed MSXML3. I also had a previous BTS install via CD from a bootcamp partition. Copying it over into CX worked perfectly. Thank you! I'm that much closer to deleting my bootcamp partition completely!

Andreas Marr wrote:

But what does work is installing the CD based first two games (civ 4
and then civ 4 warlords) and using a steam purchased version of
beyond the sword. I tried it yesterday it it works great.

edit: forgot to mention is used Crossover Games

Also works with a direct2drive purchased version of beyond the sword and CD based version of the original. You can run the game but updating it doesn't seem to work though. But buy the Steam version; direct2drive's DRM sucks!

I'm trying the same thing, but I don't even get as far as trying to run the game. I am having trouble just installing it.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get Civ4 to run at all. Both the original game and the Warlords extension install fine from the CD. I also can install the latest patches for both. However, when I try to install (not run) Civ4 BTS from the CD, it works fine up until DirectX installation. As soon as that finishes, Crossover assumes that the install is done and doesn't install the actual BTS game files.

I'm using Crossover Pro 7.1.0. on openSUSE Linux. I'm a bit stumped here, so I appreciate any advice, tips, hints, what have you.

For the most part, this worked quite well for me (above hints, after copying a DVD-unprotected version from BootCamp)

I got a setup to auto-start a mod (this took an odd modification to the startup command from the windows shortcut) but I noted that the graphics were lost for the mod. It may be that I made things difficult because I originally, accidentally, installed my BootCamp version for one user, so it's in my local apps directory (in bootcamp) rather than in Program Files. When I copied it into the bottle, I copied to program files, however...

I tried it again by copying the Documents and Settings into the bottle and running from there. This works ok, but the graphics are still lost.

I also note that it tries to save Games into ~/Documents/My Games/Beyond The Sword/.... Instead of into the bottle. Why's that?

Thanks for the help. I'll see if I can figure out how to make mod gfx work...

OK, I figured out how to set up My Documents in the Wine config. This corrects issues with saves going in the "wrong" place (and more importantly, having Civ find my old saves). This didn't correct the Mod problem as I'd hoped. There is supposed to be a new version of the mod on the 16th, so I'll try a fresh install with that...

Well, I installed a fresh copy of the Civ Mod FFH 2 0.40 that was released today. This didn't seem to change anything, with regard to the unit graphics. So far, all of the other graphics and music for the mod are working right, so this seems very peculiar.

Special terrains work
Music and special graphics work.

Just not the specific unit graphics. (so far). I'll have to toy with it some more by playing further, loading old saves and, perhaps, trying from a virgin install.

Lance Weber wrote:

1) I had a complete up to date install (including nocd hack) on my
bootcamp WinXP partition. I copied this over to the bottle.

How do you copy something to your bottle? I don't even know where to find it.

Also, you used XP I use vista ultimate - should this make a difference??

Greatly appreciate it.

Okay, this is weird:

1) Installed CivIV complete in VistaUltimate via VMWare Fusion

2) Copied folder to my OS X partition

3) All the executeables work flawlessly (opens via CrossOver Games), i.e. i did not need to run the commands or change dll's, it just works.

PS When playing the game everything is exactly like in windows. However, my dock and the upper os x bar is still displayed; the dock can be removed by CMD+D, but how do I remove the upper bar?

So, over xmas, my sister clued me in to what that problem was with the Mod - it was actually a mod specific error - you have to have "animations frozen" unchecked in Fall From Heaven. So that one was easy.

I did a fresh install today, to test the new RC1 and make sure things were working the way I wanted, get a cleaner install etc. It was (relatively) painless. Here are the steps I documented, so we can have them all together in one post.

For reference, I have a BootCamp partition with XP SP3 installed, and Civ IV Gold Plus BTS installed, with the NO CD Hack.

Here's what I did:

1. Created a new bottle.
  2. Copied "Bootcamp Partion:/Program Files/2K Games/Firaxis Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Gold/" directly into the new bottle.
  3. Copied "Bootcamp Partion:/Documents and Settings/" directly into the new bottle.
  4. Using "Run Command", I ran BTS and got the XML error
  5. Installed from msxml3.msi (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=28494391-052b-42ff-9674-f752bdca9582&displaylang=en) using "install software" command from the configure menu.
  6. Installed DX9 from directx_june2007_redist.exe (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=b406cf67-d926-463b-99e8-27199d6626b5&displaylang=en) using "install software" command from the configure menu. I expanded it into a dx9 folder I created in the bottle.
  7. Installed DXSETUP.EX from the dx9 folder using "install software" command from the configure menu.
  8. DX Install needed to "restart machine", but appeared to hang and I had to manually do so using the force installer completion option.
  9. Used winecfg to change the location of "My Documents" to the "My Documents" folder within the bottle.
  10. Ran Civ. Worked fine (Vanilla BTS)
  11. Modified command to auto-start Mod (add "mod=FFall From Heaven 2" after the Civ4BeyondSword.exe in the run command dialog, for example, to run FFH 2. Not clear why the extra character is required between = and the mod name)

I saved both commands to the programs menu, and evertything seems to run quite nicely now.

CrossOver knows how to download and install MSXML 3.0 for you. The package is just hidden by default. On Linux, you can just check "Show service packs and dependencies". On the Mac, in CrossOver's preferences, on the Installer Assistant tab, uncheck "Hide service packs and dependencies".

Similarly, it knows how to install DirectX for you. The version that CrossOver installs is more recent than the June 2007 redistributable, which is hopefully a good thing. If CivIV really does need the June 2007 version, you can (and should) still use CrossOver's package to install it, but just, when CrossOver prompts you to pick an installer source, point it to your local directx_june2007_redist.exe instead of letting it use its default URL.

-- deleted, was for Civ 3 --

1 to 22 of 22

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzE0NjY3NDcwLCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYnprelBmbUNXTjZydVRCYyIsImdkcHIiOjB9