Half-Life 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Half Life 2 Keeps Crashing

I have a macbook pro 2.4 ghz. Its brand new and currently a trial version of crossover 6.1 is installed running steam.

Counter Strike, Condition Zero, Deleted scenes run exceptionally great.

However, I am unable to fire up half life 2 to any miserable measure. The screen first goes into full screen mode. Then turns white for a moment, afterwhich it displays a blurry outline of a city-scape with the words Loading in the corner.

Then it just hangs there and never loads. I've even left it there for four hours just to see if it is a computer issue or a software issue and I think its most likely to be a software one. Counterstrike works great. Half Life 2 doesn't even go beyond the original 800x600 resolution because the menu never displays and the game never gets beyond the load stage.

Any help would be wonderfully appreciated!

I just bought a MacBook Pro 2.4 and I receive the exact same issue. Must be linked to the hardware.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B02
SMC Version: 1.16f8

By the way... What did you set your graphics settings to in CS Source?

The new MacBook Pros have new graphics chipsets which we haven't had an opportunity to test, yet. They also come with a new version of the OpenGL driver, to run the new chipsets.

It seems as though something in the new OpenGL is causing problems for CrossOver. You can try to set the DirectX level when using Half-Life 2. In the Steam games list, right-click on Half-Life 2 and choose Properties. In the Properties dialog, click on the button to set the launch options. Add "-dxlevel 7" to the options and then try running Half-Life 2. If that works, then you should remove that string from the launch options. HL2 will remember the last DirectX level that was set, but if you leave the option there it will prevent HL2 from using any saved changes you've made to the in-game video options.

I use a Mac Pro tower using two dual core processors at 2.66 gightz with a gig of ram and using a ATI 1900 xt video card at 512 megs of ram as well. When i go to half life 2 everything runs fine,so yes an issue in your laptop is getting in the way. Opengl is buggy in some laptops not in all,and yet directx is also an issue because i cant even play episode 2,but episode one i can with no problems. Episode 2 is very stodgy and choppy in some areas but not in all,yet its frustrating to play through choppy pictures and video that is important. I go to steam and a window pops up telling me i have to update my drivers yet i have updated everything to the hilt but no avail in my efforts to make episode 2 run smoothly like the previous games. And arx fatalis sometimes inverts the picture so i am upside down,but i am guessing its the european algorithms that get in the way of crossovers infrastructure. It works great on winxp but mac its something different using crossover. But no i dont have winxp installed on my mac i dont need it since i have crossover,i was only giving xp as an example. I do see however two icons describing that when i go to steam i am using either or directx 8 or 9,and i cant change it at all,and this is after launching. Real weird.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoia21kdFdYZk11WXRzNEpIdCIsImdkcHIiOjB9