Half-Life 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Episode 2 and Portal full screen

When I run Portal and Episode 2 full screen, the display is offset down and to the left, clipping a large part of it off. The amount of offset seems dependent on the screen resolution. Windowed works fine, but full screen would be preferred ...

This is from the Orange Box downloaded from Steam. Portal, Episode 2, and Team Fortress 2 all play well. (I have not tried HL2 or Lost Coast from Orange Box to see if they also have the full screen problem; in the past I played Lost Coast and Episode 1 full screen without the offset.)

(This is on a MBP 2.2GHz MacOS X 10.4.)

(I'm also having trouble seeing the text in the options panels, but I'll try the tip in the other thread.)

The fullscreen issue is known, and we are working on it. Because of this we have set Team Fortress 2 to windowed by default.

In our experience, the screen is only offset if you are using a resolution other than your native resolution. Have you tried setting it to full-screen at your full resolution? You may need to use command-line launch options to set that up, or use windowed mode to set up your full-screen settings. (There's a known issue when you switch from windowed to full-screen where the window title bar remains. If you start the game with full-screen settings, though, that doesn't happen.)

I'll test the native resolution. The font hint

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\AppDefaults\hl2.exe\Direct3D] tf2_alpha_hack set to "-game tf;-game portal;-game ep2" fixes the text rendering problems in both Portal and Episode 2.

using the resolution gets it to run full screen, but i'm not sure on how to view the text. do you know what it would be for a MBP?

Andrew Brooks wrote:

using the resolution gets it to run full screen, but i'm not sure on
how to view the text. do you know what it would be for a MBP?

Setting fullscreen to the native resolution works for me as well. To see the text in the option panels, it works to add the registry key above.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNWFua3VmS2RYUlhhcVdxMyIsImdkcHIiOjB9