Lord of the Rings Online Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Can't unzip LOTRO client file

Hello, I was following the Tips and Tricks and downloaded the client from one of the two sites listed (the 9GB zip file). I figured I had to unzip it first, but I get an error saying the file is too big. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Google a zip file like I did. Idk if Zipeg was free or not I forgot but google zipeg and there you go it'll zip big files and small files.

I tried downloading the full client on my Mac, and it appeared to have downloaded, then gave me an error message upon completion, saying the file could not be unzipped as it was not fully downloaded. This appears to be some kind of error because it was a PC file on a Mac computer. But I am not really sure. Very frustrated trying to get LOTRO to work on my Mac. I have a game account. I have bought CrossOverGames from Codeweavers. But nothing has worked for me so far. Starting with the client download itself! Why can't I download it, and unzip it, like everyone says I should be able to?

Paul

Paul Burrows wrote:

I tried downloading the full client on my Mac, and it appeared to
have downloaded, then gave me an error message upon completion,
saying the file could not be unzipped as it was not fully
downloaded. This appears to be some kind of error because it was a
PC file on a Mac computer. But I am not really sure. Very
frustrated trying to get LOTRO to work on my Mac. I have a game
account. I have bought CrossOverGames from Codeweavers. But
nothing has worked for me so far. Starting with the client download
itself! Why can't I download it, and unzip it, like everyone says I
should be able to?

Paul

If you tried downloading using the Turbine download mechanism (i.e. Pando) it will not work. The Pando system is known not to work with WINE/CrossOver Games. You need to download the full 9gb file and then use a non-apple version of "unzip." The Apple (finder) version will not work on a file that large. The program Zipeg, I believe should work.

Once you have managed to get the 9gb file unzipped, you can install it in your bottle, and then download and install PyLotRO. The Turbine Launcher client also is known not to work.

Update from above: I downloaded the free Stuffit Expander and it seemed to do the trick! Thanks. Now I seem to be able to play lotro without much of a problem. Just need to figure out how to right-click without a mouse now.... :(

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicHQ1R3RVUVE0U0E5Y25GeCIsImdkcHIiOjB9