Lord of the Rings Online Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Performance on OS X

Hi there,
After recent moving of LotRO to F2P I started to play it.
Installation with C4P - 100% perfect! Grats for that!

On medium settings I found the game little choppy so I've added DirectDrawRenderer=opengl to the registry. I think it has added me at least 5-10FPS. Please try it and post your opinions. Maybe it should be addet to C4P file also.

PS. Is there any option/addon to show current FPS and ping in LotRO?

Oskar Gargas wrote:

PS. Is there any option/addon to show current FPS and ping in LotRO?

Yes... Ctl-F will display an FPS counter on your screen.

You can use Ctl-\ to re-position the screen elements, especially the FPS counter,
to someplace more visible.

Oskar Gargas wrote:

On medium settings I found the game little choppy so I've added
DirectDrawRenderer=opengl to the registry. I think it has added me at least
5-10FPS. Please try it and post your opinions.

Can you give some more detail.... how/where did you add it to the registry?
I assume you created the "Direct..." entry, as I am not finding one existent... or I'm just looking in the wrong place.

The full registry path should be:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D

then create a string for DirectDrawRenderer and set the value to opengl

Taken from http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys

I ran with the DirectDrawRendering set to opengl for about 6 hours last evening with no problems.
And, yes, FPS does seem to be increased (ctl-f to display the FPS counter.)

I have been gradually increasing the graphics settings. (They are currently all over the place... i.e. custom)

Vertex Shader Support was set to "none".
Allow Pixel Shader was ticked.

Today, I'll add "Hardware" for the Vertex Shader Support.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoic2E2c3NuNFl3MlNRS0ZGQyIsImdkcHIiOjB9