Lord of the Rings Online Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Alan Jackson - stylesheet has changed

Hello Alan,

since I have not found another way to contact you I will try it this way.

codemasters has changed the location of the stylesheet for the lotro news, reason for this is that they no longer run the DDO server and you had the DDO stylesheet hardcoded in your source:

http://ddoeugls.com/News/style.css

it now is:

http://lotroeugls.com/News/style.css

however, the stylesheet is also given to you in the xml file you get, I made some changes to MainWindow.py in the GetNews(self) to get that working:

links = doc.getElementsByTagName("link")
for link in links:
      if node.nodeType == node.ELEMENT_NODE:

href = link.attributes["href"]

HTMLTEMPLATE = "<html><head><link rel=\"stylesheet\" type=\"text/css\" href=\"" 
          HTMLTEMPLATE += href.value
          HTMLTEMPLATE += "\"/><base target=\"_blank\"/></head><body><div class=\"launcherNewsItemsContainer\">"

I have no idea if this works with lotro US but I presume they also send the stylesheet in their xml file, I leave it up to you if you want to use the above to change the hardcoded url you use.

Regards,

Alex

I forgot that I'd left that hard-coded :)

I've put the change in place, when it is likely to be released is another issue. I was hoping that both EU and US would be F2P by now and I could do any tweaks needed. At present the news feed will display in a basic form (after a delay while getting the stylesheet feed timesout), so PyLotRO isn't broken as such.

Alan Jackson wrote:

I forgot that I'd left that hard-coded :)

I've put the change in place, when it is likely to be released is
another issue. I was hoping that both EU and US would be F2P by now
and I could do any tweaks needed. At present the news feed will
display in a basic form (after a delay while getting the stylesheet
feed timesout), so PyLotRO isn't broken as such.

thank, could you tell me what you use to make the windows executable ? pyinstaller ?

Alexander wrote:

thank, could you tell me what you use to make the windows executable
? pyinstaller ?

Pyinstaller to create the executable and inno setup to create the installer.

thought so, gone make me a temporary executable then till your next release :)

Here in the US, there appears to be two different things happening with the LOTRO and DDO news feeds.

1- It appears that there are multiple servers answering the "call." Since F2P went live, I have gotten both the "old" style LOTRO news bulletin and the "new style." However, this week, I have gotten the new style exclusively, if I get anything at all. Also, when successful, it typically takes at least 50+ seconds for the news to load (either LOTRO or DDO) when it does not fail. (If it is going to fail, it fails pretty quickly with the Exx error code. (See also my note in the PyLotRO forum:
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=6292;forum=1;msg=88845

2- For what it's worth, the "new style" is simple plain text, an RSS feed, and can be accessed directly via:
feed://www.lotro.com/index.php?option=com_bca-rss-syndicator&feed_id=1
This comes up as "LOTRO Launcher" and frequently takes 2 or 3 attempts (i.e. page refreshes) to get it to display.

The "same" URL works for DDO, also an RSS feed.
feed://www.ddo.com/index.php?option=com_bca-rss-syndicator&feed_id=1

Alan, if you have an updated version of PyLotRO, I'll be happy to give it a run...

BTW, I note that Turbine just updated the "news" and has scheduled server downtime now for LOTRO for Monday. ... expect a rash of patch problems from those who haven't followed the Forums. :)

the long delay - regular plain text version after say 50sec is what we getting now in europe because the style sheet is no longer available, sounds like you got a similar issue which might be fixed with the same solution which is getting the info from the xml file.

good news on the patches, if it solves the problems then codemasters will update europe pretty soon.... tbh I dont mind the delay, rather have it working and a bit later.

Interesting... I just noticed that the "news" displayed in the PyLotRO window is "more current" than that which shows up on the RSS feed.
I.e. the downtime announcement is in the PyLotro Window, but not on the "LOTRO Launcher" RSS page.

The item in the PyLotRO window is time stamped 0400 EST, while it appears that everything on the RSS page is time stamped at 1200AM, implying possibly that the "LOTRO Launcher" page is only updated once per day.

What prompted this notice is the fact that the news as displayed in PyLotRO has a "click here" link, which "does nothing."
Mousing over it generates "the hand" but there is no way of telling what the URL is that it is attempting to activate.
Any way to find out what that link is?
(I assume the link fails because CXG doesn't support IE or apparently any browser for squat, and that is what the URL in the news window is attempting to do.)
[Note: if this were an OSX application, mousing over a "link" will (or can if you have the option turned on) display the URL the link is pointing to. I don't know if Windows has an equivalent action.]

Another "weird thing" ... if I try try to "cut and paste" (i.e. highlight the text, type ctl-c, move to emacs and type ctl-v, what I get is the URL for the news feed, not the text, and yet that news feed does not contain this particular down time article. Fascinating.

The news feed is fetched from one of the config files during initial config, the delay is probably being caused by me leaving the old EU DDO stylesheet hard-coded (must have slipped my mind to finish doing the actual fetch of the proper one).

The links don't work because PyLotRO hasn't been programmed to deal with them.

The latest PyLotRO is 0.1.13, the change for getting the correct stylesheet will be part of 0.1.14, which is unlikely to be released until EU hits F2p (just to ensure no further changes are needed, unlikely because US F2P seems to be working fine).

Releasing a new PyLotRO takes time, time I just haven't got at the moment.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSlVUVEZzSFM4cjJad1ZFNiIsImdkcHIiOjB9