Lord of the Rings Online Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Can't open the data files

Hello everyone. Firstly thank you - all the contributors here do a great job and it is has been really helpful to read the posts.

Now the problem I am having I can't come across anywhere here. I followed the instructions for the EU LotRO in the Tips & Tricks but PyLotRO brings up an output box after I submit my login credentials. It says "Can't open the data files. Check that they exist and that you have permission to write to them. The program will now exit". As far as I can tell, I have set the directories right in the options for PyLotRO.

I used to play LotRO on my PC (but have just switched to a Mac) and I recall having the same problem on there at first as well, but the solution was then to select the LotRO client and click 'run as administrator' or something. I don't think that the same solution can apply to PyLotRO and Crossover Games though!

Thanks, Joe

Joseph Beech wrote:

Now the problem I am having I can't come across anywhere here. I
followed the instructions for the EU LotRO in the Tips & Tricks but
PyLotRO brings up an output box after I submit my login credentials.
It says "Can't open the data files. Check that they exist and that
you have permission to write to them. The program will now exit". As
far as I can tell, I have set the directories right in the options
for PyLotRO.

First up you are pointing it at the right directory or you wouldn't get the chance to enter your account details.

As for the error message that really is a blast from the past, trouble is I can't remember what caused it :)

OK things to try, have you ran the patch option in PyLotRO? I have really vague recollections of that error being caused by an out of date game file.

If you have copied the LotRO install from your Windows drive does your user have write access to those files, I seem to remember that although the error hints at that being the problem it wasn't.

Finally double check the bottle is either Windows 2000 or Window XP (I'm told it works fine using XP now).

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQ2tYdVM1ZHFMTHA4bUVSdiIsImdkcHIiOjB9