Mass Effect 3 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

AWC.dll Load failed ... grrrr...more ideas needed

Maybe someone here has more ideas on how I could get ME 3 to work :)

Mass Effect 3, Origin version
Error: AWC.dll Load failed.

My machine: MacPro3,1 (early 2008 model), OS 10.8.5, CrossOver 14.0.3

What I can still remember of all the things I tried :)
I installed Origin then used it to install ME3 -> it downloaded fine but the installation never finished.
When I quit the installer as per hints I read here and other places, ME3 would throw the above error on startup. The error came (and still comes) so quickly that Origin never even realises that ME3 actually started, far less that it quit immediately.

Running ME3 manually provoked the same error and running it through the run command with creating a log file +file showed that ME 3 never found the awc.dll. I turned on Ingame logging but I have yet to find the log that is meant to be created

After lots of playing around trying to get Origin to either repair the installation or install correctly but never getting anywhere I finally gave up and installed ME 3 in Parallels where it installed and runs almost like a charm. As I only have a Win 8 pre release version, this is no real solution because my Windows version will reboot hourly :) and so is only good for short tests. edited to add: also my pride is hurt and won't let me give up just like that :)

I then copied the working ME 3 over to the CrossOver bottle, incl. all the needed folders in the user directories, went through the registry manually and adjusted that (taking into acct that the Win 8 version is 64 bit whereas CrossOver is not so some entries go to different places), started up Origin and had it run a repair that even finished successfully. Running ME 3 now gives the same error but I can see in the logs that the file awc.dll is found. So I searched for all awc.dll versions I have (quite a few because a few years ago, I had had a similar problem with ME 2 that I could solve by using the right version of the dll) and tried every single one but no luck.

At some stage I installed Adobe Air to run the activation.air file that is given to people who have awc.dll problems connected to the activation (DRM stuff but was meant for ME2) and I also got a copy of the awc.dll that BioWare published because of errors in the original version that came with the game.

Now I am out of ideas. I managed to get ME 1 and ME 2 working even if Origin doesn't run anymore in either bottle :) and good riddance to it :) but it seems that ME 3 has me stumped...so....help ... please?

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYmJrVndra216NlNxZGZnSCIsImdkcHIiOjB9