Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

SMAC on ChromeOS?

Hey there--has anyone gotten SMAC working on ChromeOS? I've installed the GOG version on Crossover, but on launch I can't see anything, just a black screen. The sound works, and it seems to respond to keyboard input--if I press enter a few times, I can hear the menu selection noise, and even the "Planetfall" sequence once I've apparently started a new game. But the screen just remains all black.

Thanks!

EricS wrote:

Hey there--has anyone gotten SMAC working on ChromeOS? I've
installed the GOG version on Crossover, but on launch I can't see
anything, just a black screen. The sound works, and it seems to
respond to keyboard input--if I press enter a few times, I can hear
the menu selection noise, and even the "Planetfall" sequence once
I've apparently started a new game. But the screen just remains all
black.

Thanks!

so given there's lots of chromebooks... mine isn't rooted and that's where most of my problems stemmed from i think, at least initially.

you need to start by editing the "Alpha Centauri.ini" which without root and access to the files created in virtual machine that crossover creates is kind of a pain in the a$$.

go to manage under the program in crossover and you'll want to run the windows prompt

then you need to change directory to the gog folder like this

C:>cd \GOG Games\Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri\

once the directory is changed you have to run notepad to edit the ini with

c:> ~blahblahblah\start notepad "Alpha Centauri.ini"

It is gonna say it doesn't exist but it does just select create one.

the right ini text is available in another thread just copy and paste it into then select save as, change the type to .txt, and save it as "Alpha Centauri.ini"

NOW in the ini file youre gonna wanna take the # off the very first entry for direct draw, that will solve widescreen issues.

i got mine to run for about 30 odd years then it always crashes... i don't know what's going on and the built in troubleshoot for crossover does nothing for me.

hope this helps you get it working but i'm abandoning crossover for a linux vm build into my chrome os unless someone else can help me figure out why it's crashing. maybe i need some of the unofficial patches, but given i don't have root access, i'd have no idea about doing that, you'd probably be able to do it with the command prompt but i don't want to do that tedious shite. the above is about the extent of my command line wizardry...

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzE1NzkzNDc5LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiOHFxWEVmcndtc3dXZ3FxQiIsImdkcHIiOjB9