Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CD version

Hi all,

I took was taking a look at the details on the game and noted that it has been changed to reflect the differences of the CD and the Steam versions. On that site it lists the CD version as "not working," and I would like to address some of my concerns related to this.

I am an advocate for this application, but I only have the CD version. Is there a way I can rate the CD version specifically?

Next, the rating of "known not to work" for the CD version may be inaccurate. The CD version has been working in recent versions of crossover, without needing any form of DRM circumvention (atleast, since 9.x and later). Granted there may have been some bugs and whatnot, but the game was certainly playable in my experiences.

Thanks,

Hibba.

Hi,

The Distributor Comparison Table is a new feature, in part to try and help folks
avoid the situation/disappointment of having a particular release of the same game,
that won't work at the level of the overall medal. I may also help folks make a better
informed decision when it comes to thinking about purchasing a particular game release.
It's a great idea imho, but it has a couple of short fallings (see below)...

Your first question...no, you can't do that. I imagine you're looking to signify the
fact it's the CD/DVD version you cast your medal ranking against (in medal breakdown)?
I don't think that will happen....here's why -- there are those who will rank a disc
based release as 'gold', no matter what's involved in getting it to gold level (and
this includes DRM circumvention). The Distributor Comparison Table does not consider
such a position -- it ranks the entire release package, not just the game software
itself. That means, to get a 'Works!' widget in this table, all of the software in
a Distributor's release, including any DRM if it is used, must work in Crossover - that
simple. If the release's DRM does not work, the Distributor Comparison Table says the
release does not work.

One overlap, as you point out here, is the case of disc based DRM which does work in
linux, but doesn't on the Mac -- that's what I missed here. As the chance exists for
ppl to incorrectly rate on a per distribution basis (in medal rankings), then the
overall position is to have the Distributor Comparison Table looking like it does
now...(I just t changed it ;)...and you are free to submit your medal rankings just
like you were previously, without any need to signify which distribution you used.

The other, other problem...is people rank things without saying (at all) which
distribution they're talking about -- typically I put this in a forum posting...
...I'm not sure if there's a better way around things...

Cheers!

Thank you for helping clear that up for me. I think I see what you mean.

And I should try to get in the habit of posting in the forums which distribution that I used for applications I advocate.

Also, wanted to say thanks for editing the Distribution Comparison Chart 😊.

Hibba.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiekdTSFI2SzNLbXM4WXQ3NyIsImdkcHIiOjB9