Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Extremely slow network activity on Steam

So I'm currently on CX 12.2, running on 10.6.8 with a GMA 950 MacBook. Ever since around CX12 or so, I've noticed that my Steam experience has taken a major dive for the worse; network activity is extremely slow, with the Steam client seemingly stuck on the "Updating Steam..." screen for a good 10-15 minutes. As I write this, I've been able to get it to finally finish installing, but after putting in my login details it's been stuck on the login screen now for about 20 minutes. Earlier, when I was trying to install Half-Life, it was stuck on "Installing..." for about a half hour before I finally quit out of CrossOver entirely.

I've tried doing clean reinstalls of Steam twice now and nothing seems to help. Is anyone else still encountering these issues?

I also have this problem and I run OS X 10.8. I can't really figure out what is causing it.

I did a search but didn't see anything else pertaining to this. When I'm running Steam through CrossOver, the download times for games is ridiculously slow. It appears to download decently for a few seconds, then stop downloading entirely for a few seconds. Internet seems to work without hiccup, HD videos in Youtube stream just fine. Not sure what might be causing it.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

I use steam and have downloaded games on the Linux version of Steam and on Steam installed in Crossover. I have not noticved slow speeds (games download very fast per the speed of my internet connection).

I experienced this a number of times even on Windows, most of the time when I was setting up Steam on Windows machines on lan parties. I have never figured out what causes this. One theory is that sometimes the Steam servers are just slow. Two other suspicions are that Steam slows down downloads when it detects many downloads from the same IP. It might also be due to traffic shaping from my ISP. That'd be illegal here in Austria, but it is impossible to prove.

I also get slower downloads on Steam when running on Linux. But the thing is that both the linux native client and the one running on wine exhibit the same issue. If it were not for using an Intel gigabit NIC and getting better speed on Windows(with the same NIC) I would say that maybe flaky hardware may be at fault:

silviu@pangolin:~$ lspci | egrep -i --color 'network|ethernet'
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection
07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)

(only the Intel NIC is used)

Downloading an ISO via torrents does work very well and caps my 5MB/s connection. I also got 4-5 MB/s yesterday when downloading various Blizzard games with their B.net desktop app.

Steam downloads would usually start at 4MB/s then drop to 3.2 or 2.1 MB/s. It's not that bad but still, something weird is going on.

I couldn't imagine this has anything to do with Codeweavers or even WINE, but more likely your internet connection, your router/modem equipment, conditions surrounding the time of the day (day of the week), or conditions surrounding the server where the content is hosted. Keep in mind that individual websites or services will be located on a discrete server separate from another website or service, so you will be subject to the limits of that server despite your internet connection possibly being faster. Also, depending on your neighborhood, time of the day, or other factors, your actual internet connection can vary as well.

I have used WINE and Codeweavers for many years and have never noticed anything like this.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoid0pXR3cyVlNYWHlybXZ3QSIsImdkcHIiOjB9