Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam will no longer install

I deleted my bottle and reinstalled cxgames and steam and now it no longer works. Even after a complete removal of cxgames. My only guess is that something is still left behind. Anyone else experience this or know how to completely remove steam (and I mean really completely, running /opt/cxgames/bin/cxuninstall does not fix the problem)?

The files that you must remove are:
the application itself (Crossover Games),
/users/<your user name>/Applications/Crossover Games
/users/<your user name>/Library/Application Support/Crossover Games
/user/<your user name>/Library/Preferences/com.codeweavers.CrossoverGames.plist and any variations of the above name.

Deleting these will completely remove all trace of Crossover Games from your computer. When you install steam make sure that you do it from the supported application menu, by choosing install steam via download within the application Crossover Games. It is a common mistake to try and download a steam installer on your own, and install it that way. Another thing is to make absolutely sure that you are using Crossover Games, and that the icon has bullet holes in it (i.e. Not Crossover Pro).

I hope that is helpful to you, if it still doesn't work after trying that we can do some more troubleshooting, and make sure that we get this working for you.

Samuel, those instructions are for the Mac, and I gather that Dav is running Linux.

Dav, you can remove ~/.cxgames to delete all of your bottles.

Note that Steam has been updated with a new version. That new version doesn't really work with CrossOver Games 8.x. We have made CrossOver Games 9 Beta available for download from the Unsupported Downloads section of your My Downloads page.

See here.

Thanks Ken, I didn't notice he was using Linux.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiS1dMdjdHdUthV2d4Q1FuWCIsImdkcHIiOjB9